Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Symantec AV/ Firewall Client CE Ver. 10 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmfotp

MIS
Jun 19, 2007
US
I tried upgrading to Symantec AV/ Firewall Client CE Ver. 10 from SAV CE Ver. 09. I had to uninstall version 10 b/c I had to disable it in order to get internet, outlook 03, etc connections (Machines are running XP Pro SP2/ Office 03). Unlike Ver. 09, Ver. 10 thinks "Angry IP Address" finder is a virus. Of course I could try installing Angry IP after installing SAV Client ver 10. Is there a way to convince ver. 10 that it is not a virus? After reinstalling Ver. 09, all works fine & Angry IP not flagged as virus on my Compaq Presario 2010US laptop. The latter is not as important. I do need to load Ver 10 on 2 other machines as they desperately need the extra protection.

I also cannot get the icon(s) to show up in the tray next to the clock. I saw an excellent solution on another thread, but was unable to find the exact location for the command line in the registry: .

Any/ all suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in Advance!

I ran into a similar problem with McAfee at my old job. It kept deleting an important script from the server that would reset all of the computers on the factory floor during break (a necessary thing considering how old these computers were and how often they froze up). So I went to the server and found a setting within McAfee that allowed me to exclude certain folders from being scanned. I put the script in there and it was safe from McAfee's death jaws.

I would have to research this myself, but I think that there is a setting within Norton in which you can tell it not to scan certain folders (they better add it if they don't). So check around in the options menu. I think I remember seeing an "Exclude" tab in there somewhere.

Thanks Clint! That exclude tab makes perfect sense. I’ll check into that.

The more important issue lost in my rambling is I have disable the firewall in ver. 10 to connect to the internet, use Outlook 03’, etc.

Maybe it is b/c these are wireless machines. Maybe I have to install Ver. 10 while it is hard wired to the modem first before joining a home Linksys network??? It has to be something easy/ dumb that I'm not seeing or doing wrong (All running XP Pro SP2/ no servers at this time).

Any thoughts?

Does it label it as a virus or as spyware/malware?

If it calls it a VIRUS, all you can do is call Symantec. If it's labeled as spyware, there are filter settings under File System Real-Time Protection that can filter it out.

Whether it is labeled a virus or spyware, excluding it from the scan will still fix the problem. I would put all of your important scripts in that folder. Just because it is safe now, doesn't mean that a future update will label it as a virus and take it out later on. That is what happened at my old job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back