Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Symantec AV client loses shield icon and opens C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 2, 2006
US
I am using Symantec Enterprise 10.2 (10.1.5). Upon installing the client, either by a push from the Symantec System Center, or from a manual install of the client at the machine, after the machine reboots, a Windows Explorer window pops up for "C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec"
symantec_avclient_install_issue1.jpg

After the program initially finishes installing, I get the little shield down in by the clock, Live Update runs, etc. As soon as I reboot the machine, once it comes back up, it has this folder open and described above. Also, the shield is no longer by the clock, yet I can go in the Program Menu and can launch Symantec Antivirus with no problem. Live Update works as well.

From this point forward, every time you reboot the computer, it comes up with this folder open and no shield icon by the clock. You and uninstall and reinstall, use Managed or Unmanaged mode, it doesn't matter. This has happened on two of my computers now, both Windows XP, SP2.

Anyone else experiencing this phenomenon? Thanks in advance for any help.

Are you logged on as adminastrator to make sure the changes you are making, e.g, installing Symantec stay?

Member of ASAP Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals

under the name khazars

Success!!

I changed the registry entry and added quotes around the path. I also specified the exact path instead of using a truncated path.

I now have the antivirus shield showing up by the clock correctly and no strange popup Windows Explorer windows.

I did this on both computers I was having trouble with and it fixed it on both.

symantec_avclient_install_issue4.jpg

Wow!!! I’ve been trying to figure this out for almost 2 years now off & on!!! Every machine except for my own Compaq Presario 2010US has kept the icon up. Even an old Dell desktop & old Gateway keep the icon up. I thought it was b/c I accidentally told it to hide 1 time. Icon still fails to load after multiple SAV installs & hitting “Always Show”. I can open the Symantec AV Ver 9 CE program files 4 the icon & it will stay until I reboot my machine. It's just a little annoyance, but something that makes me very feel comfortable seeing.

I’ve looked on everything on the registry relating to Symantec; however I must be missing it. If you have time, can you list which directory this command is listed on?

Much Thanks in Advance!!!

(I tried upgrading to Symantec AV/ Firewall Client Ver 10 & had same icon issue. I had to uninstall that version off as after installing b/c I had to disable it to get internet, outlook 03, etc connections. It also thought my Angry IP Address finder was a virus. Of course I could try installing Angry IP after installing SAV Client ver 10. I suppose this issue should be put on a new Thread.)

The path in the registry is:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Thanks crimson, but unfortunately it did not work for me. I was excited then I played w/ the registry for 2.5 hours…nothing. I did notice our setup is different. I have XP Pro. All my prefixes start w/ “HKEY”, but I believe the registry is basically the same. Did a find & put the quotes around 1 that matched. Wrote down path in case. As soon as I launched the tray out of prog. Files, it asked 4 CD & auto undid my changes. I even created a sub under 1 of the “RUN” & nothing. Maybe I need to create it somewhere else???

I am the only login & administrator of this machine. I did change the PC name & possibly the login name sometime back. I setup my parent’s XP machine w/ 3 logins. 2 admins & 1 reg user. Even the reg user can see the SAV icon (& others) he can’t use b/c no admin privileges.

I surely thought I was in business & now a frustrating let down, however now I really want to figure this out.

Anybody have any more suggestions or thoughts?

Thanks!

hold on...think I've found some good info. I'll share once I get it going right.

You realize "HKLM" stands for "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE", correct? It is just an abbreviation so it doesn't have to be typed out.

Thanks Crimson...just frustrated & didn't get it at 1st. You definitely got me on the right path. Symantec’s link ( telling me to check registry settings. Setting was correct so I have to add the registry value "C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\VPTray.exe" in RUN.

I followed instructions on Symantec’s site; however it will not let me add a new string in the registry. Error message: cannot rename or edit value # 1”. It looks like I have registry permissions. I added a key subfolder under RUN, but that didn’t make the icon work. I’m wondering if I need to switch to a registry forum for suggestions. I don’t want to start working people’s nerves.

Can you manually navigate to that path in Windows Explorer and run VPtray.exe? If so, does it put the icon in your task tray?

Yes! That was way cool. Does not help to just run it as after rebooting it was gone. Should I save it in a certain place or were you checking something?

Your time & patience is greatly appreciated!!!

Well, I had the same issue. I could start it by manually running VPTray.exe, but upon reboot the icon would be gone again in the task tray.

Once I changed my registry to look exactly like the screenshot I have above (including the quotes), my issues were gone and the icon returned after reboot every time.

Reverify your registry entry. It should work for you too.

Thanks & I see exactly what you saying. On yours, the “Value” (VPTray) was already there & you just put quotes around it. While I have other “Values” 4 other programs, I don’t I have the VPTray value or string. I followed the directions below, but it will not let me add a value or edit other values. I made sure I had Admin permissions. Any thoughts on that? Guess I need to go to another forum 4 manipulating the registry??? I didn’t find the answers I was looking 4 on any Microsoft pages. Thanks Crimson!

There are other solutions which I checked then this...

The registry value that launches the icon is missing:

To add the registry value to the Run key
1. Exit all open programs.
2. Click Start, and then click Run. The Run dialog box appears.
3. Type regedit and then click OK. The Registry Editor appears.
4. Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
5. Click Edit, click New, and then click String Value.
6. Name the value "Vptray" and press Enter.
7. Double-click Vptray.
8. Type the path to Vptray.exe, enclosing it in quotation marks, and press Enter.

Windows 98/Me/NT/2000/XP: "C:\Program Files\Symantec_Client_Security\Symantec AntiVirus\Vptray.exe" or
"C:\Program Files\Navnt\Vptray.exe"
9. Close the Registry Editor.
10. Restart the computer.

If you have admin privileges locally on the computer, there is no reason you cannot edit the registry and add the line.

Not sure what else to say. If the line wasn't there yo can add it. If the line was there, you can edit it and do what I did. Recheck to make sure you are logged in with local Admin privileges again.

Is this a home computer or a computer on a Domain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back