Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Symantec Antivirus corporate 8.0 will not get passed memory scan????

Status
Not open for further replies.

gotztofly

IS-IT--Management
Apr 8, 2003
US
We use SAV Corp 8.0 and a few of the machines will not get passed the initial memory scan. It just says that it is complete and that there are no viruses. I run the scan from Trend's site and also Symantecs site. Comes up clean.

I have uninstalled the software from the machines and reinstalled still will not scan any files. I am at a loss.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

No,

I wish that I could. I am at a loss, unless it is something in the desktop software itself. I have three machines with the same problem.

What os are on the workstations and exactly what version is the corporate edition softare

The workstations all have 2000 pro.

8.0 is the version

Did you receive the v8.1 software from Symantec. With your support contract upgrades should be mailed to you.

There is a known bug with v8.0 and nt2000/XP with FAT32 partitions.

Is this the case?

I have had this and the upgrade fixed this issue.

I am not sure, I will check.

It may be that those are Fat32.

Thanks for the tip. I am not sure if this client ever mailed in their support docs. I will check. They have not asked me to install an update so I doubt they sent it in.

This defiantly is a Fat 32 problem! I believe this was intentional by Symantec. You have to upgrade to 8.1. This forces you to use “Content Licensing”! This is OK- I guess! I spend a lot of money every year to keep my licenses up to date but some don’t.

What really gets my goat is Symantec should have advised us that 8.0 would not work on WIN 2000 workstation that use Fat32. We upgraded several older workstations from Windows 98se to Windows 2000 pro and did not change to NTSF file system. I can continue to use 8.0 and convert all the workstation to NTSF or install 8.1. I haven’t decided what I’m going to do. I may just change to another Anti Virus software. Symantec probably won’t care if they lose us. All this does is create more work for us it guys.

Thanks all,

It did end up being the fat 32 issue. I converted them to ntfs and no more issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back