Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sybase Unicode Support 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaryAshford

Programmer
Jan 2, 2002
GB
Hi.

I have been trying to establish the level of unicode support provided by ASE 12.5.
As far as I can tell, there are two new character types; UNICHAR and UNIVARCHAR and that is it.

Is it possible to configure a ct-lib application so that all of the "meta-data"; username, password, hostname, error messages, sql text, column and table names are unicode as well (like it is with Oracle for example)?

Thanks all

The short answer to your second question about meta-data is no; it doesn't work that way. (Does ANSI SQL-92 allow Unicode meta-data and table names and so on? I don't think it does, but it may not say; I'd have to check.)

However, there is an important aspect of Unicode support that you don't mention. You can configure a database to have UTF-8 as it's native character set. Then your ct-lib app can do a simple; one spot conversion between UCS-2 (which would be the native string type in your ct-lib app) and UTF-8 (which would be on the DB). Now, AFAIK, even setting up the DB to stored UTF-8 won't allow non-ASCII characters in table-names and other meta-data (because you'll find the allowed characters for identifiers are still limited). In any case, this may be a useful approach to consider and I don't know for sure about UTF-8 in identifiers (although my reading of the docs says it's not allowed); you might try one of the Sybase forums (one of the gurus there will know for sure).

Try this link:

BOL,

John
J M Craig
Alpha-G Consulting, LLC
nsjmcraig@netscape.net

Thanks very much for your reply.

Our ct-lib application does use UTF16 characters internally and the database is enabled for UTF-8 so this side of things is working Ok. We will just have to convert to "monocode" for logons, sqltext, column names, etc.

Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back