Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sybase slow after v12 upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tison

Programmer
May 12, 1999
CH
We have recently upgraded from Sybase v11.9 to V12.5 and our procedures are running soooooo slowly.
I have recreated relevant indexes and recompiled the procs.
Any ideas ?

Hi

Two things you can look at. (Well three but the third, I suspect, isn't your problem)

1 & 2: You can increase the value of the procedure cache and/or data cache value in sp_configure

3: Or run a Monitor server and check to see where/if you have bottlenexcks.

Ex:
sp_configure "procedure cache size", NEW_AMOUNT_OF_MEMORY_PAGES (2k pages)
sp_configure "total data cache size", NEW_AMOUNT (in "K")

The thing with 12.5 is that you REALLY have to fine tune your settings to get the best bang for your buck. I reccommend the Sybase ASE 12.5 Performance and Tuning Guide by Garbus, Miner et al (ISBN: 1-55622-908-9)

Hope this helps.

Not sure if this is relevant, but I have had friends who encountered something similar.

With abstract query plans, and optimizer changes, they actually dropped the procedures to remove all queryplans from sysprocedures, and recreated. If I recall, they had some luck with this process....

Hi

Hmm.. wouldn't just updating all the table statistics force the query plans to be reanalysed?

I guess I get a little twisted with my verbiage....

I am not sure I have the right verbiage since I sometimes intertwine query plans with query trees. But they dropped procs completely, so that all query trees were removed from sysprocedures. I may be mistaken, but the trees grow as they are recompiled.

I will try to ping my friend and see if he can provide additional info.

Have recreated all indexes and recompiled all procs.
Still v12 is running like a dog ????
What else can I try ?

Have you editted/changed the cache sizes as I suggested?

Let me know.

Thanks.

Is this a 64-bit version of sybase? In that case you need to do some additional work.

I have set my procedure and data caches to reasonable sizes.

I reinstalled the old version of Sybase (V1192) and with its default settings, it runs faster than my v12 server.

Where do I go to from here ?

I have logged a call with Sybase but as yet they have no answers.

Do you still have a version 12.0 of sybase somewhere in test?

If you have, can you backup your database. Delete statistics from tables and redo update stats and update index stats again and see how it performs.

Incedently what is the version of sybase 12.0 you are using as a matter of interest

did u try to check out the query plans
i've some problems with query plans after upgrade
there some issues like datatypes hierarchy
that cause full table scan if u'r sp's declares variables
different from the columns datatype
try to check trace flag 291

regards

Reapplied OS maintenance levels up to ML10 and looks fine now.

We are also experiencing performance degradation with ASE12.5 on HP-UX 11.11i after recently upgrading from ASE11.9.2 on SCO Unixware. I was interested to see that applying OS maintenance releases resolved your performance issues. What OS are you using? What area was affected?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back