Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sybase if statement question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmcmicha

Technical User
May 25, 2000
I need to verify if a table already exists or not in a certain database. If not, then the process will run, otherwise it will exit out. This is what I have, but it does not seem to be working:

if exists ( select 1 from sysobjects where name = 'DB_IN_QUESTION' )
begin
return
end
else
begin
DO_UPDATES_HERE
end

Regardless, it seems to go to the updates even if the table exists in sysobjects. I am not sure what I am doing incorrectly, could someone please help?

Sybase Version: 11.9.2 Adaptive Server

Thanks in advance.

Nevermind, found out that this has something to do with my commands that I want processed. Since I am either creating a table or dropping one in either of the if statements I have, apparently Sybase reads ahead and performs those actions anyway regardless of the evaluation by the if statement.

that doesn't make sense to me. what tool are you using to execute this query? what happens when you do this?

if exists ( select 1 from sysobjects where name = 'DB_IN_QUESTION' )
begin
select 1
end
else
begin
select 2
end Carnage Blender. Over 40 million battles served.

Tool: isql

I have two if statements, the solution to this problem would solve the issue for both, but I do not think that there is one other than what I already said. If I have this if statement:

if exists ( select 1 from sysobjects where name = 'DB' )
begin
print "Found It."
end
else
begin
print "Not Found."
end
GO

Then it works just fine, but if I introduce a drop or 'select into' statement, then it ignores the if statement even if it evaluates as true or false and performs the drop or 'select into' anyway.

if exists ( select 1 from sysobjects where name = 'DB' )
begin
print "Database already exists"
end
else
begin
select * into NEW_TABLE from OLD_TABLE where COL=xx
end
GO

For whatever reason, which I can only assume that Sybase is reading ahead and performing the action of creating a new table or dropping it in my other if statement. Perhaps it is isql, but someone else I was speaking with said that this was an issue with Sybase where they would read ahead.

Does this make more sense now or am I missing something?

You know what.

this may be abit off topic, but the other day I noticed I coulnd not create a stored proc because inside the procedure I had a command to DROP TABLE.

Even though allI was doing was CREATING the stored proc, not executing it, I would get the error "Cannot drop table 'tablename' because it does not exist int he systems catalog".

I knew it would not exist because it's a diffrent procedure that would create them. Plus, it was wrapped inside IF statements.

This is quite a pain if in fact Sybase reads ahead like that.

I'll have to do some detective work on this. -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
For ease of reading, any posted CODE should be wrapped by [ignore][COLOR][/COLOR] and
Code:
[/ignore] tags.

Ex:
Code:
SELECT 1 from sysobjects

TGML reference: ]

I'm extremely puzzled at the "if" problem as I'm unable to replicate it in my 11.9.2 environment. I just used the code (slightly different to the original)
Code:
if object_id('table_which_does_exist') > 0
begin
   select "object exists"
end
else
begin
   select "OOPS!" oops into oops
end
go
Sorry I can't be of more help. Is there a DB option somewhere which controls this behaviour?

Greg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back