Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sybase - ECMap / ECGateway - formerly Paperfree 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

developerNut

Programmer
Apr 16, 2002
US
Has anyone used Sybase's ECMap / ECGateway packages? It used to be known as "Paperfree"?

I would like some opinions on the system from people who have used it and if/what they migrated to?

Thanks
developerNut

I am using Sybase's ECMap/ECGateway now. I've also used DI/MVS from IBM, Gentran from Sterling, and TLE from Peregrine(formally Harbinger). The client I'm consulting for hasn't had any mapper in the past. As far as migration is concerned, you have a lot more flexibility with the Sybase tools. You can also eliminate intermediate programs and file formats. There isn't any tool that's right for all situations and you will need to prepare a detailed analysis of your requirements to determine if it's right for you.

Have you seen any online/book training (other than the classroom/cyber environment that's offered on the Sybase website)?

I have been going through the guides that come with it - but I am looking for more tutorial based info... the guides seem more reference based.

Thanks

Depending on the scenerio. Neon is a good tool. but there are a few out there. Depending on how many transactions your client will be doing there are solutions out there ranging from 30k to millions with mercator.

Also think that it is a transaltor, where ther are systems succh as a wrapper validator and editor, that sits as a desktop application also.

Some other observations that I have found in ECMap / ECGateway is : it's more of an EDI "platform" or "framework" in which you develop EDI based solutions. Other software packages do much of the mapping logic / flow control for you. ECMap allows you to control much more.

Which also means that it's a much more difficult tool to get started with. More powerful in the end based on the solution your trying to get at. But for most people trying to just implement an EDI translator / communication gateway... I would go with something else.

I prefer Gentran but I've also seen TrustedLink as an inexpensive solution.

(Not to answer my own post ... just thought I would add more observations since I've been working with it for a few months in case others come across this post)(I have yet to find training for the software).

Contact me off-line at info@edatasystemsintegration.com for information on Sybase training.

Has anyone run into problems using ECMap with SQL Server 2000? We run our outbound maps beautifully with Oracle, as soon as we try to run outbound maps using SQL Server, we get cursor errors all over the place. Sybase support has been less than helpful and we are getting to the point of rewriting our maps to work properly (maintainance of two maps? Craziness!!) Any one have comments? suggestions? ideas? Thanks!

We have been using ECmap now for a few months and at first found that you need to spend a lot of time with it to learn just the basics. In about a month we all caught on to the different funtionalities of ECMAP and found it to be a powerful tool in customizing your X12 input or creating an X12 output file for each situation. Once the learning curve is achieveed then your programmers have no problem in working with ECMAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back