Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SX 200 ICP telnet log in prolems

Status
Not open for further replies.

3000gt

IS-IT--Management
Apr 26, 2002
US
We are trying to determine what the IP address is for a SX 200 ICP. Our Mitel contact has told us to do this procedure:

Use secure telnet
Open 10.38.63.2 2001
installer

at the mj: prompt type the command:
ai

Well, we have tried this and cannot log into the SX 200 ICP. We are using the PUTTY telnet/SSH application, and selected SSH for the log in type. The system returns this error when we try to connect to the PBX:

“error: server unexpectedly closed network connection”

Our questions are:

1. Is PUTTY a good secure telnet application, or is there a recommended one?

2. What are the telnet and SSH setting required to log in in this manner?

Has anyone logged in with telnet and what app, and what settings did you use?

thanks

Expertise in Avaya, Rolm/Siemens, Mitel, Nortel, NEC, Alcatel, Toshiba, Aspect, Ericsson, Executone, Panasonic PBXs & KSUs

Secure Telnet is a separate program. I have never used PUTTY.

Alternatively, if you have physical access, use a straight though 9pin serial cable to connect to the maintenance port on the front of the unit. Use a terminal emulation program to talk to the system. Set up as VT100, None, 8, 1, 9600 baud. I like Procomm Plus, but you can use the Hyperterminal that comes with windows.

If you cycle the power on the unit, then the IP address will be shown in part of the boot up display you will see while connected to the maintenance port.

Or if you have programming access, you can log into CDE and go to form 47 and look at system IP information.

If you are not part of the solution...

Then there's good money to be made in prolonging the problem.

If you don't know what the IP address of the controller is, then it makes it very difficult (read: near impossible) to connect to it via Telnet since you need the IP address to tell the Telnet application where to connect to. What was the 10.38.63.2 address you used? That address needs to be the address of the controller.

There are a couple of ways, one, as mentioned, use a serial port connection. The other, if you have IP phones on it, watch them boot, they will display the IP address of the ICP.

1. Putty is awesome, I use it to SSH into MSL/MAS servers (gateway mode of course), then further utilized the port tunneling feature to basicly have unrestricted access to the customers network. Once a session has been established, it's as easy as configuring Putty to forward specific ports and you'll have access to remote desktop, telnet, FTP/HTTP (200/3300 web gui), etc..

2. Set the connection type to RAW, port 2001 works when I test it, but I wanna say 2002 is what it says in the tech book.

We have the controller IP address now. However we still need to telnet and log in to the controller as our Mitel tech told us we need to use telnet for some programming he wants us to do. He told us to use a secure telnet, so that is where we are getting stuck. We tried Procomm Plus, it has telnet of course but couldn't find the settings to choose secure telnet on it. It did not connect.

Then we tried Hyperterminal and it returned the error: could not connect to server.

And third we tried putty in telnet, SSH, and RAW modes. It brought up the dialogue box for ten seconds and then it dissapeared, we could not enter any log in commands.

Expertise in Avaya, Rolm/Siemens, Mitel, Nortel, NEC, Alcatel, Toshiba, Aspect, Ericsson, Executone, Panasonic PBXs & KSUs

Pytty in RAW SSL working just fine. I use Telnet Magic with SSL port 2002. 3300 ICP controllers.

I would just suggest you use Internet Explorer. There is a web GUI if you know the IP address. You may have to upgrade your Java to make it work, but there will be instructions on the web page.

It may take a bit of extra time to load the web interface than if you were using SECURE TELNET (telnet in Procomm won't do), but you'll see the same things. Not a lot of people use it because when it was first made available on the 200ICP, it did not work great. Works fine now though.

Mitel has a SECURE TELNET version that they provide with the software disk or software download, that one will work if you really insist on using SECURE TELNET.

I've never had an issue using Mitel's secure telnet app. Available here:
Also, if you're doing programming, you'll want to connect to port 2000.

We exclusively use the secure telnet app as opposed to the web interface, because while it works well enough, the java client is sloooo

Thanls for the replies.
I will definitely try Mitel's secure telnet app.

I am beginning to wonder if the netowrk port on the controller is locked out/down. Does the prot ever lock out, go down? Is there any way to reset the netwrok port, or should I reboot/reset the 200 ICP controller.

I need to use telnet because our Mitel contact said open one session using telnet, then a second using Procomm whih doesn't have to be secure telnet. He of course is not available for a couple of weeks so we have his instructions, but have had problems getting the secure telnet connection to work.

I have no problem logging in via web browser though, but I can't use that for what we are doing.

The secure telnet program can sometimes be prevented from logging in if the maintenace port did not exit cleanly. If using the Maint port it is important to wait until the "press space 4 times to log in" prompt and then disconnect. If, for example, the last thing done causes a "invalid password" prompt the telnet session will be blocked until the issue is cleared by the maint port.

Whoever told you both could be active at the same time was on crack.

Occam's Razor - All things being equal, the simplest solution is the right one.

Kwb thanks for the reply, the guy who told us to open two sessions at the same time is a Mitel engineer.

On the SX200 EL/ML, I have seen two laptops connected to the serial maintenance ports, one on the main system and another on a per node. Only one could "drive the bus", but the other one could watch what was going on. Handy if someone dials into a modem connected to the system and someone on site wants to watch what is going on.

Not sure if the same thing is available with the 200ICP as it relates to multiple serial maintenance ports. But I'm with kwb, pretty sure you can't mix the types of access at the same time.

3kgt, can you ping the ip address of the 200? if so, maybe you can fire up a protocol analyzer like wireshark and watch the packets between you and the 200.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back