Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Switchroom Temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.

chippowell

Technical User
Jul 13, 2006
US
How warm do you feel comfortable letting your switchroom get? At one site, we’re having a lot of problems with the dedicated HVAC system, and we’re wondering how warm the room will get with just building air and fans. If the building air goes off over a weekend, what’s the maximum you would feel comfortable letting your switchroom get before you said “whoa, that’s not acceptible!” 75, 80, 85?

By the way, what lives in the switchroom is one Meridian 61 with four shelves, OTM server, a bunch of UPS batteries, a PC, a couple monitors, etc. About 10,000 BTU’s I figured. Thanks!

I know we have a separate HVAC just for our phone room and we keep it about 60 degrees in there at all times. Thats a bit over kill, but I wouldnt want it any warmer than 70ish 75 is getting a little to warm for me. This is just an opinion though I dont know what the nortel books actually say.

I have seen it at 95 in a few switch rooms and they were running fine, but I like mine at about 65.

I've seen them 85 to 90 also but I keep mine at around 70. Where you have to worry as far as I know is if the temp is always changing drastically. I know at least then I can keep a desk in the room in case I'm in there foe a long period of time.

the switch can take heat way better then most switchman. i perfer 78 to 82 but fat people on my crew perfer 60. anything below 90 and consistant will work for the merridian. i have a remote that works at almost 95 all summer.

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

JP must be very skinny if he likes 78-82, or on blood thinners!

I keep mine at 65, 70 if I'm in there working for very long. Keep in mind the internal cabinet temperature will be much higher, especially at the top. The PBX will shut itself down in the 130 neighborhood.

Get an indoor outdoor thermometer, and place the outdoor probe inside the cabinet. Stick the display on the outside of the cabinet and watch that inside temperature.

We keep ours under 70 - even installed remote control fans on all 4 walls to keep air circulating. But they didn't do that for me and my switch - that's more for their server racks. I'm just lucky the Network guys decided to put all their crap in my room - otherwise I bet they wouldn't care how hot it got in there.

I needs mah coolin'! (Fat guy)

and yes i am skinny.. and old

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

I had to do some calculations to convert your temps into metric so I could follow, but after a bit of number crunching I would have to agree that the Meridian is a hardy machine. I have two expansion cabinets off my Option 11c in a room that routinely get up to 80 degrees. I did notice problems start to pop up when the AC didn't start back up after a power failure, so the comms closet temp was probably around 100 or more degrees F (45C approx). So the moral of this story is, any temp under 90F seems fine.

Is your computer plugged in? Is the monitor turned on?

My tech was here yesterday and I asked him about this. He said they like to see it in the 68-70 range (20-21 in metric world), but acknowledged that it can go higher and still run okay.

When my tech at a previous job monitored temp. with that indoor/outdoor thermometer, the room was at 65 (18) and in the switch was around 90 (32).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back