Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Switching to a new case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fangeek

Technical User
Jan 1, 2005
US
I've been working all day at carrying over my old system into a new case and everything went fine for awhile. After I had installed the mobo and the powersupply, and the case switches and leds, before I connected anything else, I powered it up and it had no problems. Then I added all my drives, and peripherals and such and connected them, but then I got no response at all, zero power, no fan movement beeps etc. Is my PS dead? Did I short something, I didn't hear any suspcious pops or see smoke or anything.

Win2k Pro
Epox 8rda+
Athlon XP 2500+
512 MB DDR RAM
480 watt PSU.
CDRW
DVDROM
80GB HDD
Radeon 9700 Pro
Audigy 2
Firewire card
Lan card

Sorry, forgot to mention. After that didn't work I disconnected everything again except the led/switch cables, PSU and Mobo, and once again, I got no power response.

Make sure your video card is seated all the way in.

Is the cpu fan plugged into the cpu header?

Re-check your power switch wire and/or momentarily short across the power switch header with a screww driver blade.

Is the ATX power connector plugged fully into the mobo?

If done correctly and every wire, card, and plug inserted in the same position, it should have just fired up as normal.

The most common mistake is to have a brass standoff mounting post in the wrong position, shorting the motherboard.

Second mistake possibly IDE orientation (wrong way around)

Dropped a screw?

Make treblely sure that the main power cord to mainboard is firmly in place (remove and refit to be sure)

Maybe just a coincidance that you power supply chose this time to fail.

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

One of the USB port connections on the motherboard must have been bad because as soon as I disconnected it, it booted fine. Thanks for all your help, I'll remember these if my boot fails again.

One of my USB connections for a front mounted port must have been bad because as soon as I disconnected it, it booted fine.

You didn't mention your new case, but you might want to do a quick search to see if others have experienced problems with that front USB connector. It's possible the wire to that front USB port may need to be plugged in differently than what the instructions say. My Antec Sonata case has problems with the front usb and firewire connectors where the + and - on the plugs are labeled wrong. It should be labeled opposite. By simply connecting the + wire to the - pin resolves the problem. So it's possible your case may have known issue, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back