Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Switching to a Linux Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

brogan

Technical User
Oct 7, 2003
GB
Hi,

I asked my web host to move my website from a Windows Server to a Linux Server.

I'm now getting these notices on my site:

Notice: Undefined variable: msg in...

Is there anything I can do here?

Thanks

Mark

Hi,

I'm only using PHP.

Is there anything I can do on my side, or are these error/notices occurring because they are switching my site over?

Thanks

Mark

If that's PHP, it looks like something didn't move with the rest of the site... Or your include locaitons changed such that it can't find the file where the variable [red]msg[/red] is defined.

Check to see if everything moved and that all your stuff if still in the directories/folders they used to be.

[plug=shameless]
[/plug]

Hi,

Everything seems to be in the right locations.

Do you think it could be anything else?

Thanks

Mark

Newer PHP versions have their error reporting thresholds set "lower" to give you more information about sanity checks that may have always been there...

see "error_reporting" in the php manual

Also, you should be checking file permissions and ownership

D.E.R. Management - IT Project Management Consulting

I've seen issues with filename (upper/lowwer case). My wife was one of these offenders. She liked to code with filenames in caps. Windows is not case sensitive, whereas Linux is. Ohter than that, I'm more inclined to say sloppy coding.

--== Anything can go wrong. It's just a matter of how far wrong it will go till people think its right. ==--

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back