Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Switching tapes

Status
Not open for further replies.

ze510ir

Technical User
Oct 30, 2004
IR
I have Arcserve V. 11 (trial) and I have a ADIC FastSTor2 library. The problem is that Arcserve starts the backup allright, but waits indefinitely for the mount of the second tape into the drive after the first one is full. Normally, one would expect that the robot within the library should be instructed by backup software to load the next tape. Since the first tape is automatically loaded by the robot when Arcserve needs it, I wonder what the problem could be? I have tested the library by itself and it's okay.
This is very urgent and your help is appreciated

Hi,
you do not write any job details but I think there will be problem with group the job use. Have you assigned at least 2 tapes to the group?

Silly question - but did you install the tape library option with the base product ? If not, then ARCserve will treat this as a single drive and not as a library.

If you did install TLO then did you run device configuration ? If you didn't then ARCserve will probably show a broken connection next to the library in device manager.

Hi everyone,
Thanks for writing helpful hints all of which I'll have on mind, but I figured none was the reason why ARcServe failed to switch tapes. The reason was I hadn't assigned free media to the scratch set, rather all my media was in save set. I find it rather dissapointing that there were no hints in the software's online help to clearly define SAVE Vs SCRATCH set.
Thank again anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back