Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

switching service to comcast

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeez798

Technical User
Feb 23, 2015
US
hi,i have a customer that has a cs1000 option 81 with two remote locations connected thru t1 I think,
he got dids at the main location thinking about switching to Comcast I don't know if Comcast
provide the same service here in Michigan wondering what do I need to chk with the service from
Comcast if this can happen,thks for any information

You should be speaking to a sales engineer in the Business Service division. Is it Fiber or Coax? Coax supports analog and PRI, but fiber supports PRI no analog. We got free fiber run to our door, and now we are on fiber for 23 pri and 50 MB Internet.
It is cheaper than Coax service.

Nortel Meridian1
Version 2511
Release 25
Issue 8

they have t1 from at&t ,I don't know if we move to fiber than we have to change cards in the phone system

WE did not have to change anything in the Meridian 1.
We have an Adtran Atlas 550 upstream from the Meridian 1. Coax fed a modem, which then fed an Adtran 908e, which then fed the Atlas 550. (Coax to the Modem, IP from there)
Comcast Added a Cienna to go from Fiber to IP, then an Adtran 900e instead of the 908e feeding the Atlas.

Dunno about A T & T T1, but I imagine its IP Based.

Comcast came by and did a site survey. They ran the fiber from the street, dropped in the gear, and proofed it. Later when we were quiet we swapped service in about ten minutes.
If they aren't giving you that kinda service, you should make some noise to your sales rep.

I did more work swapping 5 analog lines over to century link than moving the PRI lol

hope this helps

Nortel Meridian1
Version 2511
Release 25
Issue 8

Just remember services vary widely across the US. Just because Comcast offers a service on one area doesn't mean they will offer that same service in another. You say you think it's connected via T-1, you should probably find out for sure. A T-1 or PRI is the same no matter how it is delivered, coax, fiber, copper etc.

thanks for the information , I will wait to the site survey and see,thks

We deliver PRI's across fiber all the time. It's still a PRI no matter what transport method is used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back