Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sWITCHING OFF / CRASHING WHEN ON THE INTERNET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vendor
Feb 3, 2003
GB
I have just built a computer and it swithes itself off when on the internet. Motherboard - ecs k7s5a
Works fine when not on the internet.

You don't really give enough information... do you get any error messages, what is your OS, what hardware are you running etc.
It could be a hardware issue with your modem, particularly if it is internal but need more to go on. Help us to help you, please post back and tell us if this helped.

All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

Mulga is right, elaborate on his points.

If you are running WindowsME, then upgrade... to XP, i had this issue on ME. The computer ran fine, with exactly the same programs open when not on the internet.

Please let us know what you think of posts, feedback is always appreciated as this will help to further our knowledge as well.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
All that's required for evil to suceed is for good men to do nothing.

Problem with the computer turning off!!
I've got a K7s5A motherboard;
Innovision 64Mb AGP graphics card
256Mb DDR Ram;
internal Diamond SupraExpress 56 modem;
Windows ME;

The problem is that when online it just turns off the computer. No errors - just off and starts rebooting. It's not at any particular time just when it feels like it.

Anyone help?

Problem with computer crashing!
My computer is:
K7S5A motherboard,
ATHLON XP2000
256Mb DDR pc2100 Ram
Diamond SupraExpress 56K Modem
Inno3D Savage2000 64Mb AGP graphics
Maxtor Diamondmax HDD and
Traxdata CD-RW

The computer will just switch off on the internet. No warnings or errors just off and starts rebooting!
Any ideas??

If it only ever happens when you are online it pretty well must be caused either by the modem or a piece of software that you are only using online, eg browser, email, any internet specific utilities etc. I would use a process of elimination to determine the cause, you could try another modem if you have one available or can borrow one. For the software try running only one program at a time to ascertain which if any is causing the problem. Help us to help you, please post back and tell us if this helped.

All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

There are known issues with some installations of Norton Personal Firewall and Norton Internet Security on ME sets with dialup connections (not to mention Win2K, 98 and XP). If it shuts off as you try to connect with your ISP and you have NPF or NIS installed, try disabling those products to see if that helps. If so, check the Symantec.com support knowledge base for some possible solutions.

I have not put on any anti virus software as yet - running at the minimum till i can make sure its all working.

I'll try a different modem as suggested and/or the software - thanks!

Some times you get an IRQ conflict between the Modem and other hardware devices that can lock up a computer or cause it to reboot. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

I think you will find that it is jusy windows ME being rubbish at running multiple apps.

When i ran it and experienced the same problem, i did not have Norton or anything similar. And i tried two different modems to no avail so.. Please let us know what you think of posts, feedback is always appreciated as this will help to further our knowledge as well.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
All that's required for evil to suceed is for good men to do nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back