Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Switching ISPs - Need Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsampsell

Technical User
Dec 11, 2007
US
I did a search for "changing isp" and "switching isp" but did not find anything releveant to my question(s) so I am starting a new thread. Please forgive me if this has been discussed ad nauseum.

We have a MICS system on PRI through Cbeyond. We've been with Cbeyond for six years but are about to switch to Windstream's Metro-E 20MB service. The vendor who installed our system has gone out of business and I haven't had a need to replace the vendor as I have been able to do all of the maintenance and changes that have been necessary over the years. With this impending change, though, I really have no idea if there is anything that I need to change with the system to make sure that everything is working fine upon switch over. We also have a Call Pilot for voicemail so if anything needs to be changed there too, please let me know.

I can't tell you how appreciative I am for any assistance that you could provide here. In addition, if you know anybody in the Buford, GA (30518) area that I could use for a vendor when needed, I am open to getting them involved since telephone and fax functioning appropriately are of extremely high importance. We can't do business without telephones and fax.

Thanks in advance.

Jeremy Sampsell
Auto Metal Direct

is your PRI tied to your internet somehow? If its a true PRI it shouldn't even be affected by changing an internet connection. Unless it is a VOIP service that hands off to you via PRI.

That's a good question. I neglected to mention what exactly we have through Cbeyond. Maybe that will help answer the question as I don't know how to answer it myself. We started with one T1 and three years later added a second T1. The two are bonded and I have been told that the MICS uses some of the bandwidth.

Here's what I understand about our system. I was told that Cbeyond installed a T1 (a second one added later) and gave us phone numbers to use with our MICS system. It was my understanding that since the system is digital that it connects to Cbeyond over the T1(s) and then out to the POTS from there. I don't really know how it works though.

Our phone numbers will not be changing at all when we go to Windstream but I assume that the system will need to be told how to connect to Windstream instead of Cbeyond as far as how to get the calls in and out.

I hope that all makes sense. I am struggling a bit here. Sorry about that.

Maybe you can find out from Cbeyond how they are handing off the lines to you. You are saying PRI, so maybe that is how they interface to you, you could look in the cabinet of you MICS and see if there is a PRI card with a connection to it.

You will need to figure out the protocol parameters of the PRI, and how many digits they are sending you. Your new provider should be able to set everything up the same, then you wont need to reprogram anything.

I do know that it has a PRI card in it. I watched them put it in and have seen it many times. Based on what you said, I would assume that providers would have to match each other in order to fascilitate the transition smoothly for them and their customers. Regardless, I will call both Cbeyond and Windstream to verify everything. I am hoping that I won't have to do anything as you've mentioned. Crossing my fingers!

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back