Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

switching from workgroups to domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

chelandrew

IS-IT--Management
Oct 8, 2001
US
Our LAN is currently setup using workgroups and we need to change to a domain configuration. I've looked extensively throught the MS site and can't seem to find any articles addressing this issue. Any articles available as to what steps are required to accomplish this? Also, can workgroups and domains coexist on the same network? Migration tools for transferring workgroup info to domains?

First off may I suggest that you pick up a copy of "Mastering Windows 2000 Server" by Mark Minasi. This is a pretty broad question, and will probably lead to a lot of other questions that you won't come up with until you've started this. Get yourself that book and you'll save yourself a lot of headaches.

The quick answer is this: You'll need to have at least one Windows 2000 server - run DCPROMO on it and it will launch a wizard that will install active directory and create a domain. You will then have to visit your PCs, right-click on My Computer, and change from workgroup to your new domain on the network identification tab (there are different steps for different operating systems). Domains and workgroups can exist on the same network, but a PC can be part of only one domain OR one workgroup at a time.

Marc Creviere

Here's a good start: First make sure your server service packs and critical updates are up to date. Then visit Microsoft's Tech Net support site and search for Active Directory. This will guide you throught promoting your server into a domain controller, as well as teach you how to use clients in a workgroup.

The suggestion to get some literature above is a greate on. Read through everything twice, especially the sections about DNS. Soon you'll be on your way to a stable Active Directory Domain.

Best of Luck!!!!!

Thanks folks. Just so I get this right, I can begin performing all the steps necessary to setup a domain without affecting current users using workgroups?

Set up your new domain in a test environment. Set up a small network with one workstation connecting to the server via switch.

Since it seems you have one server, it is possible to promote the server without removing from the network, but users may need to log off periodically so you can disjoin/join their workstations to the domain. Also you will probably be inundated with user issues.

Your best bet is to bring the server down and do the promotion over a weekend. Tech support for most systems is available over the weekend and some 24 hours a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back