Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Switching from software RAID to hardware RAID

Status
Not open for further replies.

hywaydave

IS-IT--Management
Aug 25, 2005
US
We are currently using Windows 2000 disk management to control our mirror drives. We would like to install an Adaptec 2120S RAID controller card and configure RAID 1 on it and remove the software-based mirror currently within Windows. What would be the best way to go about this?

hywaydave,
Don't you mean the Seagate utility to mirror them?/
I do not know how I can be any more clear.

Seagate just mfg's drives they do not interface to the controller & they provide no software to do this.

i.e.Suppose you had one Seagate & one Maxtor??

Your controller(Adaptec) is the device I meant, and the utilities to configure same. ACU is the Adaptec utility that is loaded PRIOR to OS boot using "crtl+a" when prompted.

In the Array Configuration Utility is lists the drive as a legacy array.
So, you have actually viewed this???

What type of "Legacy" Array is listed. If it sees an array it must recognize it as "0" "1" or ??? If it sees it as "1" it is already mirrored & recognized. You have no free drives to create an array because they are already part of an array.

This appears to be exactly what you wanted & what I thought would not be the case. You should consider yourself lucky. Make it the boot device & get this done!!

You really have got to get a handle on this.
You either are not invested in reading the documentation available or are not understanding it.
Note:Adaptec's documentation is one of the most complete available.

SCSI is not in the Plug&Play world (SATA included).
These "foreign" systems require outside assistance.

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

Load SeaTools to the U160 and run. Select the setup drives(it will not allow you to select the Boot drive) and select the option that this will be a new boot drive. The app will mirror the boot drive to the new drive(s). SeaTools should guide you as to how to proceed.
You're confusing me! You say Seagate and then you say Adaptec to mirror. I don't see either option anywhere, and I have read the documentation that came with the controller. It also says I need to initialize my drives to create an array.

Right now it shows this when booting the controller...
The following foreign arrays were found:
Array#0-Legacy
Plus it asks me to press ENTER everytime to accept the configuration. I do this but it asks me everytime it boots the controller kernel.

Within the computer BIOS, I have the Hard disk drive sequence set as:
1. Adaptec 2120S RAID Controller #0
2. Hard disk drive (not installed)

For some reason I'm not able to follow your directions clearly, and feel that they change from time to time. I do appreciate your help, but I'm still not clear on how I'm suppose to mirror the drives without using Windows. I need to do this tonight, and right now I don't feel too confident. If you can provide any more assistance, that would be great.

I just saw that the Adaptec Storage Manage Utility will let you perform migrations. Is this what you were talking about?

If all is not well: Reboot, enter card BIOS again and go through the steps to configure, following the manual. This time do not set(or unselect) this as the Boot device and proceed to set this as RAID 1 and let the utility format the drives. Now when finished you have a hardware controller configed as RAID 1 for storage. Shut down.

Install the 2940 and the U160 and boot. It should boot to the 2940 & U160. See if you have the 2120s active. If not go to ControlPanel > system > hardware devices > & find the 2120s controller and update the drivers. Reboot. Recheck availability of the 2120 drives. They should/need to be functioning.

Load SeaTools to the U160 and run.
DO NOT take things out of context: This item you just referenced is quoted above and starts with "if not all is well"

Bite the bullet: start from if not all is well.

Create a clean RAID 1 array and image your U160 to this clean array.

rvnguy

Load SeaTools to the U160 and run.

Seagate just mfg's drives they do not interface to the controller & they provide no software to do this.

i.e.Suppose you had one Seagate & one Maxtor??

Your controller(Adaptec) is the device I meant, and the utilities to configure same. ACU is the Adaptec utility that is loaded PRIOR to OS boot using "crtl+a" when prompted.
See where you say one thing and then the next? I think you meant that I'm suppose to use the Adaptec utility to create the mirror, I read in the manual that you use it for migrations. It doesn't say how but I'm sure I'll figure it out after I install it. Is this what you meant?

hywaydave,

No I Do Not

You are again taking things "OUT OF CONTEXT",

The Load seatools comment is specifically for what is prefaced(befor the comment) I never stated seatools could or should be used to setup a "Mirror".

I do see where you tend to take things out of context!

rvnguy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back