Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Switching from a Lucent Definity switch to an Avaya IP Office

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadphoneguy

Vendor
Mar 6, 2013
US
Hello everyone. I'm converting a customer from an old Lucent Definity switch to an Avaya IP Office. Installing Digital Avaya 9508 phones, so I only need 1 pair, pins 4,5. I've not done anything with Definity, so when I took a look at the wiring, I was a bit confused. When I toned out a few jacks, the wiring seems to be pinned out and coming to the existing Definity AT&T 7406 and 7401d01A phones on pins 2,3.
Does this sounds right? When I connect the tone generator to the jack, via an 8 wire "spaceship" or "banjo" and check for a light to light up on the banjo, it gives me a light on pins 2 and 3 only. Strange. I did take 1 jack apart that was accessible, weird thing was, pins 2,3 were looped back on this one particular jack to pins 4,5. So this particular accessible jack was Ok and the new phone worked.
Also, this is a 80 plus phone system install, and most of the jacks are buried behind heavy wood desks with credenzas against the walls, so moving all the desks and rewiring the jacks is not really a viable option.
If the pin out is 2,3 back to the 110 block, is there a cord or adapter that can be ordered to convert pairs 2,3 to come out to pins 4,5 at the new Avaya 9508 phones?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Might as well move the cables from the 110 block to a patch panel, or make your own cables.

"Trying is the first step to failure..." - Homer

I forgot to mention, the other problem is the Cat3 and Cat5e cables from the Jacks go to 110 blocks all over in the ceilings and they are tough to find, so a rewire is really tough on either end. And with this many phones, it could be a big mess. The only thing I could think of is cut off the mod end on the cable from the Jack to the phone and rewire the mod end to the correct pins. However, I need to know if those phones are pinned out the way I described? Or is the pin out different at all? I haven't been back since to have some more time to investigate further. Thank you for any suggestions or info on the pinout for those AT&T Biz 7400 series phones.

the old 7406 phones used pins 1,2 3'6 same as a data connection, so on a 568 b standard that would be the orange and green pairs. On IP Office you be be using pins 4&5 which should be the blue pair.

Also when you tone out a jack it always tones down pins 4 and 5 so if you get the tone you should be all set

Thank you Joe for the responses. I did some more digging this morning and found another Tek-tips post this morning that said exactly what you did. Pins 1,2,3,6. Thank you, that is exactly what I was looking for. Problem is I don't get tone down pins 4,5 from the jack. They are wired to 110 blocks in ceiling all over and only those pairs needed were wired back to the switch on 25 pair cables. So seems I may have to repin the mod plugs at the phone side to use 4,5 since I can get to most of the Jacks to rewire.
Is there any adapter that is sold that the line cord could plug into and then come out to another line cord end pinned to 4,5 that would then plug into the phone??

you know you could convert them yourself, so make pin 1 4 and pin 2 5, you could do this with a patch cable and cut 1 end off and rewire to a female jack.

Yes, I did know that. I was thinking of being lazy....lol. If I found an adaptor that was a buck or less than a buck each. I was thinking it would be totally worth it to spend $80- $100 to avoid having to make 80 cords. I will probably just end up cutting off the line cord mod end and replacing with the correct pinout. Thanks for your help Joe, I really appreciate it.

I did this with 2 port surface mount boxes with jacks in them one time a long time ago. took the old cord and plugged into 1 side then wired 1,2 over to 4,5 and plugged the new cord into that side. it wasnt great but worked in a pinch.

Kevin Wing
ACSS Small and Medium Enterprise (SME) Communications
ACS- Implement IP Office
ACA- Implement IP Office
Vive Communications

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back