Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Switching apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

bogboy1978

Technical User
Nov 8, 2002
GB
Does anyone know of a problem winxp that causes freeze ups when switching tasks. The problem I have is difficult to explain but I will try. As an example if I am making an application in delphi and I set a breakpoint in the code, when the running program gets to that section of code it should switch to delphi so I can step through the program code and see what is happening. What actually happens is that winxp freezes and I am forced to press ctrl + alt + delete multiple times to display the task manager. Once that finally shows I am then forced to click delphi in the list, but it does not turn blur to show it is selected until I press ctrl + alt + delete again. I then press the end task button a few times and am then forced to do the triple button press again before it registers that I clicked on end task. This finally closes the program.

This problem is not confined to delphi. I also have the problem with multiple ctrl + alt + delete presses whenever a program freezes and whenever an error message appears. As an example of the rror message problem if I was to accidently try to play a game without inserting the cd an error appears stating that the cd is not present, I have a retry or cancel button, but cannot click them because again the computer will freeze, I am then once again forced to do the multiple 3 finger salute to get back control of windows.

This is a brand new computer and has been doing this since it was purchased.

I am very sorry for rambling but I figured more detail was better at getting this solved than next to none. The easiest way to describe the trouble is that it seems as though this new and well powered pc has no capability for multitasking or task switching.

Hope you can help, and thanks in advance.

Try clicking start then Run, type SFC /Scannow then click ok.

Make sure you have your XP cd handy.

This will reinstall and missing or corrupt system files.

If no joy then speak to your supplier, this should be sorted by them as if you tinker too much you might invalidate any warrenty you have with them.

Greg Palmer
Free Software for Adminstrators

I tried to run sfc /scannow and got a strange error message. There is nothing in the help, and google gave no results so have you got any idea? The error message was:

Windows file protection could not initiate a scan of protected files.

The specific error code is 0x000004dd [The operation being requested was not performed because the user has not logged on to the network. The specified service does not exist.].

I am not on a network, unless they mean the internet in which case I am always online anyway. Any ideas as to what the service is? I checked the services list and a few are dissabled, but i dont know what they do so didnt want to mess with them.

Thanks once again, and thank you for the quick response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back