Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Switches as hubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

kafraco

IS-IT--Management
Feb 14, 2001
US
This may sound like a stupid question, but I have four machines that I need to connect to my network. Is it possible to use a Cisco Catalyst 2900 as a hub so that all four can see my Novell server. They don't need to see each other necessarily, but they need to see the server.

I've been told this can be done, but I haven't had any luck and I'm beginning to doubt the word of the person who said so.

Yes it could be done. You could use a lower end switch like the 1900.

Yes, the 2900 series switch will work fine for connecting your devices together.
HOWEVER, the 2900 series switch WILL NOT work as a HUB, A switch is not a hub and a hub is not a switch.
Hubs are physical layer devices and
Switches are data link layer devices

So, as long as all your devices are in the same vlan (on the switch) you will be able to communicate!!!, Also, make sure speeds and duplex are also correct.
Frank

A switch is a switch, however Fsebera nailed it, put all the
devices in the same VLAN. Default is VLAN1. Good Luck !!! Jeter@LasVegas.com The best answer I could ever give is the one to maintain my Sanity

Having problems getting your clients to see the server?

As the others have said, ensure each device is connected to a port in the same vlan.

Then, use the portfast command.

Example :-

conf t
int fast0/1
spantree portfast
^Z

Note - do not set this on ports that are connected to other switches or hubs.

Go look at the Cisco website for an explanation of what portfast does for you.

Regards
Neil
Neil S. Briscoe
Senior Network Engineer
Zetnet Internet Services Ltd

Unlike a hub, a switch requires an IP address (just one for the whole switch). Don't forget to make sure the switch has a valid IP address & correct subnet mask.

Actually, a switch doesn't require an IP address at all, except for the fact that you may well want to manage it remotely.

Although all Cisco switches are managed, there are plenty out there that are not managed. They don't have IP addresses.

They are like bridges, and totally invisible to the rest of the infrastructure.

Regards
Neil
Neil S. Briscoe
Senior Network Engineer
Zetnet Internet Services Ltd

Sorry, but we are talking about a specific switch - a Cisco 2900 - and this switch requires an IP Address & subnet mask. If you are using a 2900XL switch it also requires a default gateway.

So I repeat - please make sure that your switch has the correct IP Address & subnet mask.

If you've already checked this, then I suggest that you add a default route to your Novell server.

Cisco 2900's will not work without having the default VLAN configured with an IP address. It is the way that is was designed. If you need info on how to do it, let me know.

I've actually had the 2924XL series of switches get rebooted before we could save the config, therefore you would get the setup text when you'd login the next time. I do not know what the default config would be when it does this, but I would doubt it would match our IP/subnetting scheme. It would work just fine, but we liked to do remote management of the switches, which required us to configure it when this happened. Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but from my experience the 2924XL's will work without an IP/subnet not efficiently/managable but they will work.

Sorry, but we are talking about a specific switch - a Cisco 2900 - and this switch requires an IP Address & subnet mask. If you are using a 2900XL switch it also requires a default gateway.

Wrong, with a Cisco 2900 series all you need to do is plug it in. The Default VLan is all ready set on all the ports. If you want to telnet into it then you must use a IP and SUB on the switch.

Just a note for the pile,

The 2900 only needs an IP for management via the ethernet ports. This is why ever switch comes with that rolled console cable. We run them without the IP for security issues. Carry my laptop to them if needed.

That is all

thanks

I agree... the 2900 does NOT require an IP to function.. as a basic switch. For some of the bells and whistles, it's needed.

Think about it... switches are layer 2... no ip required.. the switch works on layer 2 and the mac. With those two items, life is good for the switch.

I personally have unpacked a brand new 2924 and used it as a "port splitter"... expensive splitter but it worked :) No config.. no ip.. nothing except power

MIkeS
Find me at
"Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

As a point of interest, not directly connected, one cannot say a switch is a switch and a hub is a hub. If you flood a switch with manual ARP updates until the table is full it will fall over into hub mode. I think that applies to all of them but - obviously - I have not tested all of them. This is a quite well known attack.

See
Magog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back