Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Switched HDD now XP won't load. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

paz8473

Technical User
Jun 8, 2003
US
I recently replaced the motherboard in one of my PC's, everything went well and the system started up fine, since the new set up is better than the PC I use for music projects I decided to swap the hard drives and use the updated system with my music programs. All I did was swap the drives, now the system will get as far as the XP loading screen and it jumps back to POST, I've tried every option from the recovery screen (safe mode, last good settings, start normally) but get the same thing, this drive worked fine in the other system, any ideas why windows won't load?

Thanks

Your new motherboard differs too much hardware-wise from your older system.

You will need to either try a repair install or install XP fresh. Before attempting either, I highly suggest placing the drive back into your older system and backing up any important data you have on it to another device or media.

Repair install (in-place upgrade) instructions:

Be aware that after an repair install, you'll have to reload all critical updates and other patches from the Microsoft site.

Actually the HDD I'm using is fairly new also with a fresh install of XP, are you saying that windows has itself configured for the PC it was originally installed on and does not recognize the new system? If that's the case I will probably just swap drives back over and leave things as they were, I suppose then I could install my music programs on the new setup and just transfer any in-process projects.

Thanks

paz8473 said:
are you saying that windows has itself configured for the PC it was originally installed on and does not recognize the new system?

Yes, that is what he is saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back