Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Switchboard Set Focus

Status
Not open for further replies.

drcab

Programmer
Nov 16, 2000
US
Ok, this is pretty basic but I have successfully frustrated myself. I want to set the focus to one and only one form (view,report) from my switchboard. From there I want to be able to go back to my switchboard and see that and only that. I have been fighting through this all day, is there a reference for me? Thank you..
gdc

If you could explain that more thoroughly, I, for one, will be better able to answer. You say one, and only one, but you go on to say form, view, report. Which ONE? Do you want one of each on the SB?
techsupportgirl@home.com
Brainbench MVP for Microsoft Word

Sorry for the vague description...

What I am trying to do is have only one object visible, whether it be a form or the switchboard itself. For example, I have a button called Main on the SB that calls a Form that is for data entry. When this form comes up I want to see only this form, not the the switchboard. When I hit the 'Back to Switchboard' button I want the Data Entry Form, Main , to no longer be visible. Basically, I want the inactive object to be hidden (or closed?) and the active object to be the only one visible.

I THOUGHT it was to be a focus set on the onclick within VBA. Am I on the right track?
thank you
gdc

I say you run a macro on the On Click event of the switchboard (go to design view of the switchboard after you've created it), you run a macro you've already created that closes anything applicable. Of course, if you've got lots of forms/queries/reports, dunno how you can CloseAll, but you can certainly do a Close on each one if you've only got a few that you allow them access to. You could also just make sure everything opens maximized. Sorry I can be of further help. Have you ever been to the Access board in the Lounge at techsupportgirl@home.com
Brainbench MVP for Microsoft Word

Thank you, I will give that a try here at home and see how it works before I get back to work...
Appreciate your help/
gdc

Worked like a champ, even learned a few things in the process..
thanks again
gdc

Open the Switchboard Form in design(not in the manager) and get to the form properties. On the first tab (Format) scroll down to Min Max Button and select NONE and for Close select No. You can also hide the title bar, ?, border among other things. Just go thru these options and play with them. Hope I was a help...
drcab

Where can I find a GOOD Access 97 switchboard manager tutorial??? Please reply to jakk44@lycos.com

Hello,

I am trying to create my "Main Menu", or switchboard, that sits in the background of Access, and never lets anything go behind it, even if you click on the detail area of the switchboard. Essentially, I am trying to make it behave like a desktop, so users can click on links to open things, but always have the switchboard in the background (maximized without scrollbars optimally!) to use for opening or navigating? Any tips? Also, the person who started this thread asked for a GOOD Switchboard manager book, if there is one, could someone post that in the thread?

Thanks much.

LLDevel

drcab, you might also check out the VISIBLE property for forms - it's a very easy way to hide all but the currently focused form:

Sub MainForm_CLICK()
me.visible = true
Docmd.openform "MainFOrm"
end sub

Sub MainForm_Close()
Me.Visible = false
Forms!SwitchBoardMenu.Visible = True
End Sub

and so on..

Some applications run a quick function to OPEN, HIDDEN all their main navigational forms and then make them visible and invisible when necessary. It makes for snappy looking performance, because the forms become visible much quicker.
[red]
Public Sub OpenAllForms()
Dim dbs As Database, ctr As Container, doc As Document, frm As Form

Set dbs = CurrentDb
Set ctr = dbs.Containers!Forms

'open all forms

For Each doc In ctr.Documents
DoCmd.OpenForm doc.Name, , , , , acHidden
Next

Set dbs = Nothing
Set ctr = Nothing

End Sub
[/red]

Ex-JimAtTheFAA
78.5% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
Another free Access forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back