Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Switchboard Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

greendragon51

Technical User
Jul 29, 2002
US
I have created a multi level set of switchboards in the Switchboard Manager. ( It is not under Add Ins though... it is in Tools>Database Utilities ) I have set the Main Menu switchboard as (default) but I can NOT get the switch boards to display. I can see Switchboard Items in the Tables AND in the Forms but cant get one to display. Any ideas ???
Thanks
Green Dragon Old Guy

I couldn't find your switchboard maker undre Tools/DB utilities.. only Switchboard Manager I know of is in Tools/Addins/Switchboard Manager.

Let's backup a moment. You are trying to get the switchbaord to display on startup, or you can't get it to display at all when you open up the Switchboard form in form view?

If the form just won't popup on startup check a couple of things. First off check Tools/Startup in the menubar and see if Switchboard is setup to be the startup form.

If you don't want the switchboard to loadup on startup, check the form that is loaded up as the startup form and see if it has any code that runs behind it's On_open or On_load that is closing your switchboard.

Next, check to see if the database has an autoexec macro, is this macro running, opening, or closing anything? Your switchboard maybe? CHeck that out...

Lastly, stick with the switchboard manager if you want to use switchboards... it makes it much easier... It sounds to me like you did use the switchboard manager. Go into this and just check to make sure everything is linked correctly.

Is this what you're trying to accomplish? Or is nothing displaying on your switchboard form? Just reply if you ned more help..

-Josh ------------------
-JPeters
Got a helpful tip for Access Users? Check out and contribute to 'How to Keep Your Databases from becoming Overwhelming!'
thread181-293590
jpeters@guidemail.com
------------------

Josh
Thank you so very much for your time. Yes... I thought it odd that the Switchboard Manager does NOT show up under Tools>Addins . I have been told however that what I am using is indeed the real Switchboard Manager. Perhaps my build of Access 2000 (9.0.2720) is older or newer than others!
I can not get the Switchboard to display when opened in Form View. I get a form that looks like a table of switchboard items. Actually I DO want the switchboard to load on startup... it is not. I have set the "Main Menu" to be (default) but it still does not start. Tools>Startup App Title is blank, App Icon is blank, Menu Bar is (default),Display Form Page is (none),Shortcut Menu Bar is (default), Display Database windows IS checked, Display Status Bar IS checked.
No form loads on start up. The dialog box asking which database to open pops up.
As for autoexec macro... no, not that I'm aware of. I WILL want this later, but just now I am struggling hard enough without any extra baggage. I think I have bitten off more than I can chew with this project. But... I said I would do it, so, I am gonna do it.... maybe just not as fast as I once thought ! ! !
Thanks so very much for your help. It is greatly appreciated. I sahll have many more questions as I attempt to learn this software...Thanks again
Green Dragon Old Guy

Breathe deeply, count to 10, and relax. You've come to the right place. Welcome home - we're all here so much that we just call it that. But really, this is a great forum.
Now for the juicy stuff:

In Tools/Startup make Display Form be "Switchboard"
This will default the start form to, well, Switchboard .. ;-)

Okay, now the only times my forms are EVER blank when I open them in form mode is if they have no data source. Even if they have text boxes, etc. If their data source is at 0 records ... and even then this is rare. Have you tried exporting your Switchboard Items table and your Switchboard form to another database and seeing if they work there? Sometimes I setup 2 switchboards in 1 database (this is tuff in access 97) .. so I design my alternate switchboards in separate databses then I rename them, edit their code appropriately, and then import them into my DB. So you may just want to play with the switchboard in another database.

Here's a Q for ya. When you loaded up the Switchboard manager for the first time, did it prompt you that there wasn't one created and ask you to create one? Because it probbaly did, and hopefully you said yes. With that said and done, if you click on the switchboard manager and there is not a Switchboard form in the database currently - it'll prompt ya. Go ahead and chew on this for awhile... post back when you get some time.

-Josh ------------------
-JPeters
Got a helpful tip for Access Users? Check out and contribute to 'How to Keep Your Databases from becoming Overwhelming!'
thread181-293590
jpeters@guidemail.com
------------------

Ok...
I tried the startup thingey... and.... it works, to a point. It does open the switcboard, but NOT as a switchboard... it opens it as a form containing the switchboard items. NOT an operative switchboard.
As for making switchboards in other DBs... ok, I'll try that. Is the copy technique like the old days, just copy the file from one folder to another?
Thanks
Green Dragon Old Guy

Yes, you can copy/paste or you can import them. Each works roughly the same way.

-Josh ------------------
-JPeters
thread181-293590
jpeters@guidemail.com
------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back