Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Switch to router?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CiscoFun

Technical User
Oct 18, 2001
US
Is there ANY way to come out of a switch port (ethernet or console) to a routers AUX or console? I need to be able to telnet to the switch and then need the ablility to get to the router somehow. I have beat my head on this one and seems to me since switches dont do telnet there may not be a way.

Thank you for any help.
-CCNP MCSE

THANK YOU ALL!

The reason I need to do this is because I have 450 remote sites. Everyone in a while a router will lose its config (power surge etc) and I need to get a new config on it remotly. The end user has zero ability to do this. My solution for this is just to Fed-Ex another out to them with a good config on it :(.

I can get to the switch however thru a PC anywhere Dialup I have to a backoffice pc at each location.

BTW: some of my sites have little 1538M hubs too :( How do I telnet from this? I have tried it all.

Maybe you should stick the PC anywhere on the router, then do reverse telnet to the switch from the router if needs be. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shnypr-small.gif

tech@shnypr.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Maybe it would be a better idea to buy some routers that do not blow the config on a regular basis, preferably with removable flash card holding the config and image.
That way you could boot the router and remove the flash, if all goes wrong you just call the site ask them to put the flash card in the slot and power cycle the router.

CiscoFun,

You could use PC anywhere to terminal to your router, and then reverse telnet from the router to the switch.

You would connect the PC Anywhere PC to the console port on the router giving you router access, then connect the AUX port on the router to the console port on the switch, giving you switch access through reverse telnet from the router.

Wouldnt that do what you are trying to accomplish? You would then have access to both switch and router from one PC Anywhere terminal.

If you need help setting up reverse telnet, I wrote a FAQ on it here:

shnypr-small.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back