Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

switch to hub?? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlaverdiere

Technical User
Jun 30, 2001
US
I have a switch and a hub. the hub is 10 base t and the switch is 10.10 base t.. what cable do you use to link them.. a cross over or straigh thru ..
thanks in advance for your help

Depends: Some hubs have a cross-over port or a switch that can make a port cross-over (usually the last port). If that's the case, you can use a straight through cable. Otherwise you need a cross-over cable.

if it is hub to hub then you gonna have to do a cross-cable

IPConfig,
You most definately do not *have* to use a cross-over cable for hub to hub, hub to switch, nor switch to switch, *IF* either of them have a delegated cross over port, or as some others (i.e.: Netgear hubs, 3Com, etc) have a button/switch to toggle to make (usually) the last port on the device a crossover/uplink port.

I am currently writting on a SunBlade connected to a 8port 100mbs hub wich is connected to another hub via uplink port, which connects to a switch via uplink port (toggled with a button) to my router.
No crossover cables involved :)

-John

I use that before switch to hub....i would rather use a straight cable..bcoz ur bout using a 10 base t...it depends also on the type of your lan card ...

remember that all switches and hubs don´t have an upload or manually cross-over button that you can use.
Cisco has several switches that you have to use a cross-over cable to connect with another cisco equipment.

The, by far, easiest way of determining if you need a cross-over or regular cable is to simply plug it in.
If you get connection you use the right cable.
I always bring both cables when I´m about to connect something and switch until the connection-lamp gets lit. /Sören

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back