Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Switch selection for CCNA lab- IOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

cryptotech

Technical User
Nov 9, 2007
US
Hi all,

After reseaching quite a bit, I've decided to go the 2950 route, but was wondering if it makes a huge difference which IOS is loaded.

I have 3 routers all with 12.4

If the 2950 (not the 2950T) has 12.1, is that a big issue in terms of similarities on the exams, or is the main issue just being a 2950 so it's close to the exam switches?

Will the 2950 at 12.1 be sufficient?

Ultimately it would be nice to have 3 2960's...too much $$.
I was thinking of at least one 2950T and maybe save some with a couple of 12 port 2950's at 12.1

Also, 2900XL's are cheap, but are they really acceptable for CCNA lab?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

thanks!

Take a look at Wendell Odom's blog here for some good suggestions on lab gear:

As far as the IOS version, I don't believe there will be any functional differences that would come up in the exam for you.

Pretty certain that the xl series is one to avoid at this point, but could be wrong. Have it in my head that the xl's won't do somethings that you will want.

Thanks, I've read Wendell Odom's blog posts and just couldn't find anything on the IOS for the switch and if it was important or not.

From what I've gathered the IOS isn't really the issue, just the model for command structure and features.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back