Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Switch segmentation and media sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amakusa42

Technical User
Dec 22, 2008
US
I am new to this, so if this is a basic question I apologize.

I have just installed a switch into my network at home (Cisco 2900). Previously, I had everything connected through a DLink router/hub. I have since split the network into three parts: One is my PC, the other is my PS3, the third is the Dlink router/hub (which has another home network PC in it)

This may be a networking question, but I am wondering if there is a Switch solution I am missing.

In any case, my devices used to all be able to speak to each other, since the d-link was a router/hub. (i.e. I could share media on one with the others, like streaming a file from one PC to the other or running a TV show off my PC through my PS3). Now that I segregated the network, nothing on each interface can speak with each other. I thought I could get around that by making each interface part of the same vlan. No dice.

Is this something I can fix inside the switch? Or do I need to seek a high layer solution?

How is the 2900 setup or configured ? If its just at factory defaults with no config you should be able to just plug it into the dlink and be able to talk to each other. What do you mean you segregated them ? Are you pulling addresses ok ? Is the dlink handing out the addresses? Verify all devices are pulling an address in the same subnet.

Its setup standard, although I am running full duplex forced instead of auto detecting. Please forgive me if anything I type next seems like amateurs work, but I am new to routing and stuff.

I don't want to plug the switch into the DLink. I just want the Dlink to run its wireless (which will cover my Wii system), and everything else to be on their own interface. I was hoping to be able to put each of the devices on a different interface, but still have them communicate with each other. By I segregated them by giving each device its own interface, that's all. I then put each interface into the same vlan.

Each device is negotiating its own ip address, and its own mask. Now they all pull the same main IP address, but for the private network, they each pull their own private ip address. Since this is the case, nothing is working on the same Subnet except the Dlink, even though I've put everything in the same Vlan (I hope I am saying this correctly).

Example:

Dlink: 192.168.0.100 /24 (f0/3)
My Comp: 169.254.206.57 /16 (f0/2)
Vlan: 192.168.0.1 /24 (f0/1-f0/4)

I know the Dlink and the Vlan are in the same subnet (/24 has 1 subnet with 256 addresses), but my computer is using a class B mask and its not even in the ballpark. Which is where I am getting the problem, I *THINK*. However, I have no layer 3 device to solve this problem with.

So, my question becomes: Can I solve this problem on the switch? If not, I assume I have to go and setup my private Ip Addresses manually. Err... Is there anyway to do that on a PC?

First, just make the dlink a wireless access point, for which you don't need an IP address. Seconds, the only thing you may want to do is
switch>en
switch#conf t
switch(config)#no spann en

That is, if you can console into the switch. Everything belongs to VLAN 1 by default. Not knowing anything about this subject, I would suggest this is all you do. You can leave evrything as is, and just give the pc a static IP address in the 192.168.0.0/24 range...seems spanning tree is taking the normal 50 seconds to negotiate the protocol, and so the pc dhcp protocol times out and never gets an address.

Burt

How do I set a static ip address on my PC?

The no spann en command doesn't exist on my switch. What is it supposed to do?

The computer "my pc" is not pulling an address , it is being assigned the default microsoft address in the 169 space because it is not being supplied an address by the dlink . More than likely the dlink is assigning addresses so the cisco 2900 "has" to be connected to the dlink in order to be able to get a private 192.168.x.x address . On the cisco make sure all your user ports have "spanning tree portfast " turned on .Also if you hardcode a switchport to 100/full you must make sure the nic setup is also 100/full and not auto otherwise you will have a speed/duplex mismatch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back