Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

switch operating systems????

Status
Not open for further replies.

diggrrrchick

IS-IT--Management
Nov 8, 2001
CA
I was wondering if anyone knows HOW to switch from WindowsNT 4.0 workstation to Windows98 or 95 as the file allocation system is different. Any suggestions would be awesome.
Thanks all

-Diggz

What do you mean switch? Are you currently NTFS on NT? If you want to reload with 9x, you need to format and reinstall.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Sorry to be so vague here, it has been awhile! My aunt has recently purchased a second hand computer from the local bank, thus the computer is running WindowsNT 4.0 workstation but she would like to be running Windows9X and has a set of 22 floppy disks for Windows95. When trying to run these disks she gets an error that refers to the file allocation system. I did work at this bank before and I am positive that this old computer is NTFS. My memory could be wrong...how would I confirm this on the NT workstation and how could I then switch to Wondows9X?
The computer is PII 300, 3.2 GB, 128 MB RAM and I did successfully remove the CDROM from her old ( VERY OLD ) computer and install it in the new(er) workstation.
Thanks

-Diggz

You need to create a new bootdisk for 9x. Go to and get one for 95 or 98.

Boot off the floppy, run fdisk. You want to delete the non-dos partition (which is your NTFS partition currently), and create a new fat32 one. Reboot, then use the format command to format the drive

format c:

When done, type this command to make your new c: drive bootable.

sys a:

Now, you have the painful floppy installation. I could be wrong, but I think you can then boot off the floppies, and run setup. If one disk is bad, you're out of luck.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Just a quick thought: The first version of win95, which would have about 22 floppies, does not support FAT32 partitions, only FAT. This has a maximum partition size of 2Gb, so you would need to create 1 x 2Gb partition as FAT and a second 1.2Gb partition, also FAT, but Matt's instructions on how to create and format the partition are exactly the same.

John

Just a question - why does your aunt want 95 rather than NT? Both are antiquated - NT is much more stable o/s, and has been supported longer than 95 (eg, ie6 works on NT). Only thing I can think of is games - and she'd be better off with a new machine in that case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back