Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Switch off server - opening any file takes ages...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2001
GB
Not really sure how to start looking for a solution on this one...

Yesterday I turned off one of the old servers. It did used to be the user files server for a domain but its since been replaced. No files on it were ever in use - in fact all it did was act as a BDC.

As soon as I switched it off, people on the same domain were having problems with opening files on a different server. Instead of taking no time at all to open a 30k word file, it was taking over a minute. As soon as the server was switched back on, everything was back to normal.

Why would this server cause opening files to slow right down? None of the files people were trying to open have anything to do with that server.

If you need any more info let me know...

It may be that the users who experienced a slow down in performance where authenticated on the BDC you switched off. When this happened it may have taken a little while for them to be authenticated by an alternative DC.

How long was the server off for?

If the server was off for a while and the problem persisted then it may be worth checking the performance stats for other DC(s) in that domain.

If it was simply a reboot of the server then this can be quite normal.

I also thought it might have been that the users logged on via that server, but I checked this and they went on by the new user files server (also a BDC). I checked by going to a command prompt and typing echo %logonserver%.

The server was off from about 11:00am till 9:00am this morning so just under a day.

I'll have a look about on the PDC and both BDCs to see if I can find anything.

Thanks

Check for ANY connections to the old server, ipc or otherwise....I noticed windows for some reason checks all your connections even when clicking on the start button - anything that used to be there but isn't has to time out before it carries on...Not sure if this applies to opening files but...

Do net use on the clients and check for any mapped drives or connections to the old server.

*shrug*

JS

Is it a DNS Server for the network (either primary or secondary) for workstations or other servers?

John

Sorry for the late reply...

I haven't had the time recently to look at it, but someone else has. They said something about certain user policies pointing to it. I don't know if this is correct or causing the problem as I've never messed around with policies, but does it sound like it could be that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back