Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Switch Image Upgrade failed-Now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

simonspivey

IS-IT--Management
Jul 16, 2003
CA
I just tried to update a BS-420 stack, but it failed to restart. Now it gets as far as the memory test (passed) and freezes. This was the 'diagnostics' image. Had not upgraded the software image yet.

This worked fine before on multiple units in my office (serial console). This stack was the first that I'd upgraded through telnet. The TFTP server was on same LAN and stack.

Can I salvage these somehow?

Thanks in advance,
Simon.

You may be able to de-stack the switches and try them seperately... may be able to, but you also may be in bad shape.

Never had one do that but my switch guy thinks it isn't a good situation.

You also may be able to get a good switch, make it the primary in the stack and attempt to update the entire stack again.

Did you update the entire stack wehn you did this?

I did do the stack (2), and both switches show the same problem.

I'm pretty sure they were left adequate time to update--the diagnostics image usually takes no time, and when they failed to reset, it would have taken me 5-10 minutes to walk to the building they were in.

I have my doubts that I could use a good switch to update them within a new stack--I think the stack will fail to form if the other switch doesn't load it's software. I'll try it though.

Thanks.

Tried the stack solution, but it didn't work. Not sure what else to try. Is there no factory image that you can revert back to in these cases?

The 450's I seem to remember had some sort of POST routine interrupt where you could load an image by interactively entering port#, speed/duplex, ip address of switch/TFTP server etc.

I get a line saying the 420 recognized a break, but the diagnostics still lock up.

Si.

Hello,

I have the same issue, BPS2000 boots, but when it gets to
Test 215 PHYs Interrupt - PASSED

Starting Agent Code..

Decompressing the image ...

it locks up, nothing happens. It has an old image and diagnostics, which i am trying to upgrade, but finding it hard if i can not access the CLI.

thanks,

you can type ctrl + C during boot up...
then upgrade - or downgrade - the image...
works with 460 & bps2000 anyway ;)

FYI: With the original switch problem I had, I returned the switches to Nortel. Judging by the serial#s of what came back, I guess they were replaced.

I could not get the 420 diagnostics to appear after ctrl-c was pressed. I guess the firmware was too far gone.
Si.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back