Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Switch From T1 to Fiber for 11c

Status
Not open for further replies.

spearce02

Technical User
Dec 15, 2004
US
I have but hopefully a simple question. Currently we have a couple remote shelves from our Nortel Meridian Option 11c PBX. I would like to get away from the rented T1's that go to both these remote shelves with fiber that we are planning to run to both these locations. What is the easiest way to move these remote shelves to fiber from the T1's? Any help is very much appreciated.

Are these Mini Carrier Remotes or what? If they are Mini Carriers then you still have to have T-1 connectivity. So you would need to add some type of mux to convert the fiber to T-1.

Yes the PBX has NT5D68CA Local Mini Carrier Cards that in turn go to a Adtran T1 CSU ACE and then out across the T1.

Without buying a bunch of new hardware the easiest thing to do is put a mux on the fiber and breakout the fiber to T-1. All the new remote stuff is IP based and will probably force you into an upgrade of everything.

Oh and the fiber is 12 strand singlemode. Any recommendations on a good MUX?

I would look at Adtran and see what they have.

Has anyone up here ever tried this before, if so with what result and what equipment were you using?

Just Google for "fiber t1 media converter single mode". Couple of vendors that came up I have used for other equipment are Transition Networks and RAD. Shouldn't be any problem replacing the current copper T1 connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back