Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Switch Default Domain Name after reboot...

Status
Not open for further replies.

torque2k

IS-IT--Management
Feb 8, 2002
US
Hello, everyone.

I've got a ton of Windows 2000 Pro clients in the field that authenticate to our NT domain. We have no problems doing this, but as a PC Administrator, I have limited Domain rights. When I need to work on the PCs, I have to log in to the system using the local host name instead of the domain name.

My problem is, when the user gets the machine back, they forget to change the domain name back to the DOMAIN Name instead of the Local Host Name. I can't change this after I log out, because if I don't log in to the DOMAIN, it won't stick.

I've checked the registry settings for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\AltDefaultDomainName and \DefaultDomainName, and they both reflect our DOMAIN name, but even after a reboot, the Local Host Name still comes up until switched...

I know others have this problem, but does anyone know of a solution? An unfortunate occurence under Win2K is that the user, who's already been authenticated once under the domain, will automatically create a fresh default-based profile, with NONE of their domain profile's files and programs available. Try explaining THAT to the CEO! :)

TIA,
Dan

Did you ever find a solution to this? I am in the same situation and if all else fails will write a script/applet to run at user logoff which will force the registry to default to the domain. I'd rather not do this because this complicates what should be a simple issue.

The DefaultDomain value in the registry ought to be renamed LastDomain since that's what it is.

Have the users logon using the FQDN (user_name@Domain_name)

Nope, this issue still exists. What a stupid little problem, but creates such a hassle.

As for using FQDN, what? Sorry, but trying to ask 1000 users to change the way they've logged in for almost 10 years is next to impossible in a company which has nothing to do with the tech field (manufacturing plumbing supplies). Thanks, though.

My first thought was for you to log into the domain (after your local repairs) using a domain account that would then leave the Domain as you'd like it. Then you log out and ship off the repaired PC. This also has the side benefit of confirming the device still logs into the domain prior to shipping it off.
Another key to investigate is LOGONSERVER, search for that but I can't say if just a simple reg merge of the value you want into that prior to your local log off will fix your issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back