Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Switch connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmpuk

Technical User
Nov 19, 2001
GB

Hi

I have to install some switches to provide about 150-200 ports. I was thinking of using Catalyst 2950s. Using one as the "master" I would connect each other switch to it.

Any comments on (a) is that the appropriate kit, and (b) is that the best way to connect them?

Many thanks

In one location? Or spread out throughout the facility?

Will all be together in the same rack.

Humm... You could go the 3750 route if you need high speed interconnects, or you could do a 4500 series switch (one switch that you throw in modules)....

Depending on your budget:

High End: Qty (1) 4500 or 6500 series chassis switch

Mid Range: Stacked 3750 switches

Low End: Qty (1) 3750 or 3550 switch and the rest 2950s

Thanks, but *wow* are the 3750 / 3550 expensive!

Would I be ok using a 2950? We're not talking massive amounts of data transfer here - this network is currently all on hubs!

Thanks again.

Yeah... all 2950s... I would probably have at least one 3550 that connected them all together though.

Like a 3550 12G or 12T, so you could hook all the 2950s up via 1gb and have a decent forwarding rate.

As long as you don't need any type of routing function then the 2950's should work fine . The 3550's are expensive because they are l2 and l3 switches that can do routing and legacy protocol support .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back