Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Switch configuration help

Status
Not open for further replies.

gavinr98

IS-IT--Management
May 6, 2004
US
Hello,

Hope someone can help with a suggestion on the best way to configure a switch that we are trying to setup. Here is what we are currently doing

4 unmanaged 8 port switches

Switch 1 - ATT Circuit (primary) 1 Port goes to a Cisco Router 3825 - 2 Ports go from the switch to Firewall Cluster
Switch 2 - Time Warner Circuit (backup) 1 Port goes to a Cisco Router 2901 - 2 Ports go from the Switch to the Firewall Cluster
Switch 3 - Wireless Network 1 port from network into switch and 2 port out to the Firewall Cluster
Switch 4 - DMZ - 2 ports out to Firewall Cluster and DMZ Clients are connected to the switch

Prior to setting it up this way we setup a Cisco Switch 3560 and created 4 separate VLAN's to segment the traffic. The only problem is the switch for some reason did not like what we did and caused havoc on the network. So in order to get it working this way, we had to have a separate switch for each.

Does anyone have any recommendations on the best way to achieve this using just the 1 switch?

Hi

I would ensure the 3560 switch is got a clean config and also ensure the vlan config is cleared before connecting to your network.
I would use vtp transparent mode, then create 4 new vlans which are only available on this switch, ensuring no layer 3 interfaces are created for the 4 vlans. Once this has been done, I would assign switch ports to the vlans as required.

HTH

-Viconsul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back