Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Switch 3500 upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjorge74185

IS-IT--Management
Dec 9, 2010
MX
Hi Everyone,

I want ro upgrade my 3500 switch, I've downloaded my new firmware but have the following three files:

3500_10015_diag.bin
3500_522002.img
3500_522003s.img

I have my TFTP server configured, and the CLI procedure to get the new files on the switch, but I don't know wich file to use, can someone tell me wich one of the file is for, what the .bin is for and whats the difference between the 522002.img and the 522003s.img files??

I would appreciate your help, thanks!

Bin file is the diagnostic image (firmware). Img is the switch software. The only difference between ...2.img and ...3s.img is that the 's' images come with security options (https web interface, ssh CLI access, SMMPv3 I think). There is no other difference. In some countries the laws disallow you to enable encryption so you have to chose the image without 's'. I always use the 's' image.

do the BIN file first, then after reboot, do the IMG file.

You should also read the release notes for all versions younger than the release you want to upgrade to.

The release notes describe necessary upgrade steps. Sometimes you have to step through many releases. Just to be sure...

thanks nnaarrnn, but how should I do the BIN file?, if I try to get the BIN file, I receive an error that says Incorrect image file.

I've chosen the image file without the "s" and it seems like is running ok.

Thanks everyone for your help, I only uploaded the img file without the diag file, so I guess just made the half of the procedure haha.

Thanks all for your help, you guys have a good weekend!

Code:
show sys-info
will show you the used diag and bin versions. Diag is not always be when new bin files come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back