Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Swing 1.4 vs 1.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsulman

Programmer
Jun 14, 2001
US
I am currently considering taking a 5-day GUI Construction with Java 1.3 Foundation Classes class from Sun. What I am worried about is what I learn will be obsolete when we switch to 1.4. Does anybody know where I can find any information on 1.3 vs 1.4 or does anybody have any insight into this issue.

Thanks

Jeff Sulman

The Swing implementation in J2SE 1.4 is not radically different than 1.3. They added a few new components and controls, including my favorite the wheely mouse. Other than that J2SE 1.4 as it pertains to Swing is focused mainly on improving performance. I am confident that anything you learn about Swing in J2SE 1.3 will apply to J2SE 1.4 and definitely not be time wasted. So go ahead and take your class, or even better buy a bunch of books and study on your own.

Look at sun's homepage java.sun.com they list all the differences and improvments between 1.3 and 1.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back