Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Swat for SAMBA 2.0.7.0 on AIX4.3.3 Not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cuthie

Technical User
Sep 17, 2001
GB
Hi,

Has anyone any experience of SWAT.
I have installed Samba 2.0.7.0 on AIX 4.3.3 from the Bull sit, followed the instructions in the Redbook to set up the SWAT application.

When I http\\Servername:901, it just hangs up opening the page.

I have got the relevant entries in services and inetd.conf.

Any ideas??

Thanks

Mark

who just hangs - browser or swat???
try instead of naming
check samba forum - it has lots of posts around SWAT
we cannot be of big help as you AIX still works fine completely ignoring Samba and SWAT problems

AIX may work fine, but some users who can't get around very well in Unix need the Samba connection to be up and running so they can function. So the AIX sys admin needs to get it working in AIX.

Cuthie, I don't use Samba anymore (IBM has packaged it under the name FastConnect, but you have to pay for it, I believe). I did install it and got it running a couple of years ago and will look back at my notes to see if I can offer some help.

The smb process is running on the server, right? When you say you are trying to connect to SWAT, are you doing it from your desktop or are you trying to get to it using Netscape on the server? Can you get to it using Netscape on the server?

Cuthie, I have a bunch of text files that I used to help me configure Samba on a couple of different platforms (the docs came with a different platform's version of samba. They were a lot more helpful than some of the stuff from the Samba site. If you want them, let me know your email address and I'll send them to you.

Hi Bi,

I have managed to get Samba up and running, a really simple configuration, all I want to do is export a common share.

Funnily enough I have Fastconnect on the production machines, the reason for trying Samba is that Fastconect has been dumping.

Its just that I cannot get SWAT to work.

Cheers

M.

You can send the docs to

Mark(dot)Cuthbert(at)yorkshirewater(dot)co(dot)uk

check /etc/inetd.conf for an entry that is commented out *swat
just remove the comment and then you can use swat.

also check with your network guy that he did not restrict the use of lower ports
because swat communicates on port 901.

good luck,

FV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back