Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Swapping values between two cells

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bass71

MIS
Jun 21, 2001
Is there a function that succintly swaps the values of two cells. For example:

cell D1 has a value of 34 and E1 has a value of 50...all I want to do is swap those two cell values, such that E1 now equals 34 and D1 equals 50.

I've got code that, when a condition is met, cuts from one, then temporarily pastes it in an empty column and then cuts and pastes the other and so on...but that's way too cumbersome.

I don't know of any specific functions to do this but try holding onto the value of one of the fields in a local variable rather than writing it into a blank cell. Almost as cumbersome but it will be one less write.

I'll second that. Cutting and pasting is just a really ugly way to do it. If you're using Excel automation, the best way to do it would be with a temporary variable and the Range.Value property. A quick and dirty example might be

Sub Swap(Byref Rng1 As Excel.Range, Byref Rng2 As Excel.Range)
Dim temp As Variant
temp = Rng1.Value
Rng1.Value = Rng2.Value
Rng2.Value = temp
End Sub

Here's some VBA:
[tt]
' Note routine only does rough checking for whether onlt two cells are selected
' Procedure swaps the contents of two cells in the current selection
Public Sub SwapContents()
Dim rngSwapRange As Range
Set rngSwapRange = Selection

If rngSwapRange.Areas.Count = 2 Then ' Cells not next to each other?
If rngSwapRange.Areas(1).Count = 1 And rngSwapRange.Areas(2).Count = 1 Then ' Quick and dirty check to ensure just two cells selected
tempvalue = rngSwapRange.Areas(1).Value
rngSwapRange.Areas(1).Value = rngSwapRange.Areas(2).Value
rngSwapRange.Areas(2).Value = tempvalue
End If
ElseIf rngSwapRange.Areas.Count = 1 Then ' Cells not next to each other?
If rngSwapRange.Areas(1).Count = 2 Then ' Quick and dirty check for just two cells
tempvalue = rngSwapRange(1).Value
rngSwapRange(1).Value = rngSwapRange(2).Value
rngSwapRange(2).Value = tempvalue
End If
End If
End Sub
[/tt]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back