Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Swapping Routers Over in an existing network

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmpressVamp

IS-IT--Management
Feb 22, 2003
AU
Hi,

First time poster, long time reader *cough*. Anywho, I havea quandry. I am pretty sure I know the answer however I thought I would bounce the problem around and see what answers I get back. I have two Cisco 4500M routers with identical IOS installed:

router#sho ver
Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
IOS (tm) 4500 Software (C4500-IS-M), Version 12.0(22)

One is in service currently and routing my office network with a couple other networks hanging off it as well. However I wish to change it over as its flash is totally fubar and will not save to NVRAM. Consequently it will boot from ROMMON whenever a power failure hits and naturally requires a manual reload of the config. The problem is that when I switched over routers with exactly the same config, I could ping outside the network from the new router, however pinging internally was a bit of a nightmare. I ran a clear arp-cache which improved slightly and found that if I clear the arp table from each machine internally I would eventually get a response from the new router.

Of course this is all good in theory, but due to the nature of the networks hanging off it, it is rather mission critical that it responds immediately after the changeover. I am aware that this is more than likely an arp table issue, and my question is, "Is it possible to implement this swap over with as little downtime as possible? And if so what steps would I need to undergo to make it so?".

I had a discussion with someone a short time ago who suggested running them in tandem and then pull out the dodgy router. I am just a little unsure as to how to actually go about this.

Thanks for any help.

Set the MAC address of the new 4500 to match the one of the one you're replacing. Do this before putting it into service. Also, have your verified your config registry settings on the router that won't hold a config?

Think about enabling HSRP on the two routers.. then when you pull out the bad router, the good one can automaticly take over.. and it's transparent to the users since the MAC/IP is a fake to start with.

HSRP info here:

MikeS
Find me at
"Take advantage of the enemy's unreadiness, make your way by unexpected routes, and attack unguarded spots."
Sun Tzu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back