Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Swapping out a raid card

Status
Not open for further replies.

fzx5v0

IS-IT--Management
Jan 13, 2003
GB
Hi

I have a server that has it raid and scsi biult into the mothereboard and the scsi is failing.

I have a spare IBM 6m controller card. Is there any probls with me putting the card in the server and conecting the disks to that to use the scsi and raid on that card.

Also how how do I set up the raid 5 set again with out loosing any data

Thanks

Easyinkz Printer cartridges

hi,
which kind (series,model,type) of IBM server
are you speaking about ?
"Electrically" speaking I belive there are no problem to
insert the 6m in your box (it is 2 channels card and has ouputs for 2 external cable and 2 internal, no 4 channel)

The problem may be how the "back plain" (the card in
which are iserted hdisks) is connected to the mather board
to link with the internal SCSI(that has gone).
If it has a cable (probably) you have to detach it from
m.b. and attach in one of 2 internal connector;
the problem may be the cable

Sure you can attach the computer to external disks !

Are you sure internal SCSI ha gone ?
Diagnostic ?
CTRL i or a or other at bios level before boot ?

bye

If you are using the internal raid controller build onto the system board then you can not just install a raid card adapter and expect it to work. The metadata is different.

You would have to create a new raid array and reload the data. There is no way to do it without having to reload if you are going from a onboard controller to a physical raid card.

The metadata statement depends on which system and what RAID solution he has. If its a system with ServeRAID 7k (or 6i/6i+), then the metadata is the same as ServeRAID 6M (except perhaps if you have a RAID 5E array defined). Clear the config of the 6M and import the config of the driveset. The fact that he says RAID 5 then the system isnt based on LSI 1020/30 or HostRAID. Of course this whole discussion is based on this being an xSeries server. If its not... then ibmtech65 is exactly correct... you're toast.

I am toast then as the server is non branded. I think then i will put the data onto a new x series 346 then

Thanks

Fir the advice

Easyinkz Printer cartridges

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back