Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Swapping drives between ultra 5 and 10 question??

Status
Not open for further replies.

tekpchak

Technical User
Jan 5, 2005
US
I currently am faced with a problem. I have 2 machines running Solaris 7. One is an ultra 10 and the other is an ultra 5. The Ultra 10 is currently running off of an external scsi drive. The Ultra 5 is currently running off of an internal IDE drive. The utra 10 is used as a basic workstation. The ultra 5 is used as a software simulator. I am tasked with having to switch these two machines. I have tried just swapping the hard drives. However this does not work. Is there a reason why? Is there a fix? I thought they were the same architechure so I was assuming you could just swap the drives. If you have any info please let me know. I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Jason

The reason why is the path differences for the harddrive device tree. The architecture of the 2 machines are the same, but since you are using an external drive on the Ultra 10, the ultra 5 doesn't know about the external drive device path.

Solution:
If your Ultra 5 has a SCSI Interface (Not Standard to Ultra 5 workstations), connect the external drive to the ultra 5. Boot the Ultra 5 with a recofiguration boot (boot -r).

Mount the external drive partitions and copy the files you need off the external drive to the local drive. I would use tar -cvfp to keep the file privileges.

If you don't have a SCSI Interface, you will have to tar the files to tape and then transfer them to the Ultra 5.

bfitzmai is correct about the hardware path differences. But if both the internal and external disks are already boot disks you can do the following and do not need to touch the data on the disks:
1. switch the disk (ofcourse you need a correct scsi card)
2. Power up the system and go to the OBP (ok-prompt), STOP+A or init 0
3. type: show-disks
(I think I have the right syntax but if not check with "sifting show" for the correct syntax)
4. select the new disk
5. change the boot alias or create a new, devalias <disk, or new alias> ctrl-Y
(when selecting the disk in point 4 you will see an example)
6. change boot-device, setenv boot-device <disk, or the new alias>
7. do a reconfigure boot, boot -r

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back