Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Swapping Digital and Analog Extension Numbers 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lenjg

MIS
Dec 8, 2005
US
I have had this issue for a while now with no resolution.
Merlin Legend System
Digital extensions number 10 (operator console) to 25 and analog extensions 26 to 49
A user wishes to switch from an analog to digital set but retain the same extension number
Example analog user at extension 41 gets a digital set on extension 17.
Is it possible to swap extension numbers?
I have tried the various steps on extension renumbering however whenever I enter the "NEW" extension number the system merely beeps and does not seem to accept anything.
I try the following
Old extension 41
new extension 71 (unused)
but this does nothing but beep.

Any thoughts?

Whenever you hear a beep like that during the renumbering step, it means the the target number is already used or otherwise reserved.

This whole business of renumbering is much easier if the extensions were originally put in "Set Up Space"; it sounds like yours wasn't. And since you are using a two-digit dialplan, 71 represents an adjunct (actually, your adjuncts would be 3 digits long).

Try again. Only this time use something in a different range. To swap 41 and 17, lets:

1. renumber 41 to 50 (frees up 41)
2. renumber 17 to 41 (17 is now where 41 used to be)
3. renumber 50 to 17 (41 is now where 17 used to be).

Makes sense? Now if you wanted to use the adjunct space for renumbering in the future, try something in the 710-766 range. See page 816 of for details.

Tim Alberstein

Thanks but unfortunately in your step one.. no matter what extension I put in (I have tried 49 - 99) it will not accept any entry. I checked the assigned extensions and 10 - 66 are listed.
I have also tried the setup space suggestion and first tried to renumber 41 to 7131. Same result.

Your processor may strapped for "Permanent Key Mode" (determined by jumpers on the processor's motherboard). That's the only other thing that I can think of that will prevent you from renumbering extensions.

Make a backup of your current config. Now go to System Programming, Start, Mode and try to select Hybrid/PBX (assuming that you are in Key mode). Does it beep at you?

Tim Alberstein

Look - do this the correct way. First - use system renumber to renumber all extentions to setup space - meaning they start at 7100. To do so - press menu, system program, system renumber, default, setup space. Now - depending on software version press continue, back or exit (if old software)then block, then extentions - and now renumber the extentions to the initial range you want. If you want 10 - 49 then keyin 7100 enter, then 7149 enter, then 10 enter. Now - if you want to change ext 41 to 17 - do the following.

To not confise you - exit programming, press menu, system program, start/exit, system renumber, single, extentions, 41 enter, 7131 enter.

Then press back/exit, keyin 7131 enter, 17 enter.

And you are finished.

Tom Daugirdas,
President
STCG, Inc.
stcg.com

if you do not want to do what Tom say( everyone should set it up this way from the getgo)
or
if you want to use renumber 41 to 6843

then 17 to 41

and now 6843 to 17

oops that was for a magix for legend use 6886

You can only swap out analog and digital extension ports by physically moving the wires around in the switch. Can't run digital on analog and vise-versa.

Thank you all for the suggestions however any attempt to renumber extensions by the methods you suggest above fail.

The system is set to Hybrid/PBX.

Renumbering all extensions to setup space failed.. I just beeps.

I understand you cannot run digital sets on analog ports and vise-versa. I have given the user a digital set attached to a digital port (ext. 17) however his old extension was on an analog port (ext. 41) Short of forwarding ext 41 to 17 or having his business cards reprinted (not a popular option)... I am merely trying to let him keep his old extension number with a new set.

OK - as I mentioned waaayyy back - do a system renumber to the default setting of "setup space" - and then renumber your extentions as you need - from that setup. To do so: press menu, system program, start/exit, system renumber, default - and choose setup space and press enter. The display will read "All extentions 7000 range". Now you can go back into system renumber - choose block, extentions - or - single, extentions - and renumber from the setup space defaults to the whatever final extention numbering scheme you want. In "setup space" your first extention starts at 7100 and goes up sequentially module by module. Your adjuncts start at 7300 and go up sequentially.

Tom Daugirdas,
President
STCG, Inc.
stcg.com

I gave it a try:
press menu, system program, system renumber, default, setup space. Now - depending on software version press continue, back or exit (if old software)then block, then extentions - and now renumber the extentions to the initial range you want. If you want 10 - 49 then keyin 7100 (OKAY) enter, then 7149 (OKAY)enter, then 10 (Just Beeps)

However, at this point all extensions have been MOVED to 7100 - 7149. Dialing 15 for example gives a fast busy.

press menu, system program, start/exit, system renumber, single, extentions, 41 enter, 7131 enter (just beeps)

Then press back/exit, keyin 7131 enter, 17 enter.(just beeps)

I had to go back and let the system renumber everything for 2 digit extensions and in doing so 17 renumbered to 17 and 41 to 41 as orignially set up.

Are you saying I have to manually re-assign all extensions back 7100 -> 10, 7101 -> 11, 7102 -> 12 etc.?

Tom,

I went back through it again and it worked. I did have to block and individually renumber everything back from the setup space but it did work.

Thanks so much.

Glad to help - that is the way ALL system renumbering should be - when first starting to program the system - it saves a lot of headaches later.

Tom Daugirdas,
President
STCG, Inc.
stcg.com

Well, one other issue now....
The extenisions have been swapped just fine however, when I dial ext. 41 it rings where I need it to but voicemail does not pick it up.

Add it to the voicemail coverage group (usually 30)

Extensions>More>GroupCover>30>Enter>41>Enter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back