Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Swapinfo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnathon

Programmer
Jul 29, 2006
US
Hi,
I were told if memory PCT USED higher than 90% (view by swapinfo), i'm in trouble. How true is this comment?
My maxswapchunks = 4096. I wish i could have a better control over this figure (ie memory PCT USED), anybody please.

Best Regards,
Johnathon

Johnathon - the "memory" line refer to the PseudoSwap feature of the HP-UX, which is by default
enabled and is from my point of view of little use, unless you don't have enough physical disks to create a sufficiently big disk swap area space. Anyway check the last line in "swapinfo -t", if that "PCT USED" get close to 100% than you're in big troubles since you don't have anymore virtual mem to use. For the 'maxswapchunks' set it to the maximum allowed (16384) and then forget about it.

Yours, Mauro

Hi

I would choose to take the total PCT USED with a pinch of salt, as this value includes the amount of memory that has been reserved for processes(not currently being used), as well as that memory actually being used for paging.
The PCT USED on the actual device swap, in my opinon is a much better value to keep your eye on.

Regards
Queenie

Queenie - unfortunately when all the PCT UTIL on the "Total" line get to 100% your system's not allowed to allocate any more memory, since it cannot garantee anymore "virtual memory" to your processes. You never get 100% in the devices swap utilization and lots of space in the total line ...

Yours Mauro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back