Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Swap secondary drive for primary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJJA17

Technical User
Oct 9, 2002
GB
Hi All,

I have an 8gig primary drive (C:) running Windows '98 which is quite old now and making noises (chugging). I also have an 80gig secondary drive (E:) which is faster (7200rpm). I realise that the faster drive should really be the primary and now that the smaller primary drive is being a pain I want to remove it and use only the larger, faster drive.

There is data on the larger drive which I would prefer not to lose and the only partition apart from the main area is used as a scratch disc (D:).

I have Windows 2000 which I would like to install as the O/S on the large drive but do not wish lose data already on it.

Any suggestions as to how I might approach this problem would be greatly appreciated. If further info is required, just ask.

Regards
AJJA17

Partition magic to crate another primary partition you can use to clone the stuff over. And an extended + logical that you can use for data exchange after it is running. Then you can start moving stuff around.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

You do not necessary have to partition the bigger HD. Why not just install Win2k, keeping the partition w/all your data on it?!

Just make sure that you do not allow the setup program to erase the HD during install.

Good Luck §;O)

Jakob

Hello,

Many thanks for your info, it's just one of those things I have not had to do until now. I'll give it a shot tonight.

Regards
AJJA17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back