Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Swap phone extensions 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boxer77

Technical User
Jul 10, 2012
US
We have had some changes in staff and I need the phones to sort of move with them. I need ext. 208 to become ext. 266. I also need it set up so that if someone calls 208 it rings at ext. 217. (There will no longer be a physical extension 208.) What is the best way to handle this? The phones at 208 and 266 are different models. 266 is a hybrid and 208 is a digital phone. Would the swap function work or should I delete the two extensions entirely and add 266 back with the settings of 208?

Several ways to do this. This is one way:
First thing to do is display all of those extensions and make note of the port each station is on now.
Then change all of the ports to x.
Then change the port of the station to the port of the station that used to be at the new location.
Next you can remove the station that is no longer going to be used.
Lastly test the stations to make sure that the phones are working at the proper location.

That may not work, if the sets aren't all digital, what do you mean by hybrid?
What kind of set exactly?

Thanks for the quick reply. The system lists one phone as a 7406D and the other as 8410D. I used the term hybrid because that is what the guy I took them over from called them.

I ended up printing out the configurations, deleted them, and then added them back with the different ports. I ended up using ext. 208 in the old office so there was no need to forward it.

They are both digital phones, but the 74xx type ONLY works on a 4-wire port, while the 84xx will work on either a 4-wire or 2-wire port.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back