Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Swap links, Should I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmphuskers

Programmer
Feb 12, 2003
US
Generic question. My eyes hurt tonight so I skipped reading old threads and right to a new question.
Page rank, nothing new but I don't pay much attention to it since I am trying to stick with rich relevant content.

Any how, I am getting emails from people wanting to swap links. I check out their site and it's pretty good as far as relevant content. I mean right on the mark.

But they are new and don't have a pagerank at all.
Don't I want to link up with higher page rank sites than that? Or does it matter.
I don't want to litter my website with links.

Anyway I am sticking with the affiliate thing first. Since that is pretty one sided and I won't have to carry other links.

Am I on the right track, or have I fallen off the track?

My instinct would be not to obsess about Pagerank. If these guys have good sites that your visitors will be interested in, link to them. It increases the quality of your site (and makes it more likely that people will link to you) if you have a good (if not necessarily large) collection of relevant links.

-- Chris Hunt

ChrisHunt I appreciate the feedback. I wanted to stay away from becoming a link farm and just add certain links where approperate throughout the site that pertains to that pages subject matter.
Sounds like I got a winner.
Again, thanks for the quick feedback!

I agree with Chris on Page Rank it's not worth obsessing about and if the site is relevant and maybe useful to your visitors, then link to it and don't worry about reciprocal links.
The sudden surge of link requests has been caused by the theory that Google is now applying Topic Sensitive Page Rank as part of their algo.
So now anyone who thought Links, Links and more Links were the key to success and came unstuck in the November update are now looking for another "quick fix" to pin their hopes on. Probably with a new domain name and site but still trying to use the same 'tricks'

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?

or vice-versa!

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back