Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SW installation fails with SMS 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceigl

IS-IT--Management
Mar 24, 2002
AT
Hi all,
I experience the following problem on a SMS 2.0 SP4 Server:

I distribute a SW package but instead of using the "setup.exe /xyz" I created a "install.cmd" file because afterwards I need to delete files and copy config-files for the SW to work properly.
The problem is that the advertisement beginns running and afterwards the APM shows "Install (failed)" and I really don't know why.
When I connect to the appropiate drive manually and start this "install.cmd" everything is working fine :(
The environment settings for the program are set to use a drive letter (no specific) and to run with administrative rights.
Anyone please can help me out with this or tell me where I can find detailed Client-Logs for that ?

Cheers,
Chris

Hi Chris,

Your application shows up as failed, because SMS is using the return code of the launched program, which is usually zero if everything went fine. As you are not running the application itself, but are using a cmd-file, the return code of this cmd-file is used. If you want this installation to work properly you have to "collect" the return code of the setup program (by evaluation the errorlevel variable for example) and manually return this value in your cmd-file (i.e. "exit %variable%" / sorry, I don't remember the exact name). Hope this helps....

Christoph

Thanks for your reply ;)

I know what you are meaning - but the problem is that I always receive an "access denied"-error and nothing happens on the targeted machine :(

Hi Chris,

what account do you use to install via SMS? Does the account have appropriate privileges to access the files you want to copy?

Ponti

hi,
i am agree with ponti,
this related to the account privileges,

so check it from the sms console ,,,

with my best wishes

Ponti, Sambusa:

Sorry, this issue is solved - it was a bug in SMS 2.0 SP4 HRP with XP-clients....I already received a QFE for this ;)

Hi,
thanks for u brother,
O.K if it's resolved pls tell us what was the problem and what's the solution ,
Because i was facing problem with XP, so i have resolved it fro the permission ( console config. )

Witing!
Thanks in advance

Sambusa,

here you go - directly from the QFE:

IMPACT STATEMENT
===================
The update resolves the failure to use a drive letter with soft dist acct on Windows XP pro SMS Client workstations.

INSTALLATION NOTES
====================
* This update includes a SMS Site Server change.
This update must be installed on
All Primary and Secondary Site servers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back