Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SW Bell DSL sharing with a D-Link DI-704 question. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

savageman

Technical User
Feb 17, 2002
US
HELP!!!!!!!!
I just bought a D-Link DI704 router in hopes of sharing my existing SW Bell DSL connection thoughout our home. I checked with SW Bell to see if we in fact had a dynamic IP address. They also told me that the PPPoE was important when using a router. I have gone into the 704's setup screen and set the PPPoE information but it still won't connect though the router. My TCP/IP settings are set to *(Obtain an IP address automaticly), the gateway is clear, the IP address screen is clear. Any suggestions on what I am not doing correctly? Thanks...

Make sure you have the correct username and password. The password is case sensitive. Even if you think you have it typed in correctly, re-type it just in case.

I am doing basically the same thing you are (except with a Linksys router). PPPoE works fine on the Linksys. Basically username/password.

Thanks...

After an one and a half hour waite on hold with D-Link, I was able get some help. I had to perform something called a mac cone. I never pushed that button because I assumed it was for a mac system. The mac clone feature is actually a mirroring fuction of our PC. It solved the problem. A week later I intalled a Linksys router on a friends PC without the extra problems. I think I like the Linksys better.

Thanks again

Question.

I've always used a router or ICS on a system for DSL sharing.

Someone i know has a hub with 3 systems and ADSL through Bellsouth. 2 computers access the net and the otherone can't. All settings are the same.

The problem would be solved with a router or ICS i believe.

Has anyone ever set up ADSL through a HUB? My understanding was that you need a router or ICS so the TELCO only distributes the 1 IP address to the Router.

I had my DSL set up through a hub and it worked like a charm. Was able to connect both computers to the internet independently and at the same time without any problems. My DSL modem was connected into the uplink and I had my two computers on the 2nd and 3rd port. Everybody kept on telling me that wouldn't work, but it is the second time I've done that: once with Cable, now with DSL.

Now I thought I'd try to see if it works better with a router, but I can't get it working properly. Can ping IPs and use MSN Messenger, but cannot open any web sites or check email.

We are hooking a new computer to our DSL. but the new computer has windows xp.

When we try to install the software it sayd it is not compatable with this version of windows.

HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back