Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SVCHOST.EXE problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

epsonuser

Technical User
Apr 30, 2003
US
Starting to get svchost.exe errors when using PC, I know this goes back to the blaster or lovesan virus, but for some reason, I cannot get the error to go away. I'm running the latest version of McAfee virus scan, tried using the Sybase worm removal program, one called fixblast.exe, and another from McAfee called Stinger.exe. No luck, the error returns, the PC runs super slow, web pages load like molasses, if they load at all. Over the weekend, I reloaded W2K pro, updated to all the latest SP's from Microsoft, still a problem.

Any suggestions?

I installed a completely fresh copy of Windows 2000. I ran a small program called TLIST.EXE that you can obtain from microsoft. I compared what was running in the base install and what was running on the problem PC. This allowed me to remove any third party apps until I found the cause of the problem.

A short explaination of SVCHOST.EXE - At startup, Svchost.exe checks the services portion of the registry to construct a list of services that it needs to load. Multiple instances of Svchost.exe can run at the same time. Each Svchost.exe session can contain a grouping of services, so that separate services can run, depending on how and where Svchost.exe is started. This allows for better control and easier debugging.

If you are getting an error in SVCHOST it means that something that is trying to load is failing. Maybe a support DLL is missing or corrupted? Generally this problem is caused by a non-microsoft application or driver that is corrupted or not properly loading.

Spend as much or as little time on it as you want. Sorry, I don't have a quick fix. Yes it might be virus related, or the virus was cleaned and this is a residual problem. Reinstalling Windows over the top of itself does not replace those things in the registry that are not windows related, thus the problem is not your operating system files.

Download,install and run regclean. It will find problems in your registry and attempt to repair them. You can find regclean by doing a goofle search or by using your fav. search engine.

Also check your application, and system log in the event viewer for errors. It's a good place to see what might be happening.

Re cleaning your registry: Regclean was available with the W98 ResourceKit, and not improved since. I have had good results with "RegScrubXP". Despite the name, it works fine on Windows 2000. I have RegScrubXP version 3.2.
The Help file has graphics to show just what it does and how it looks before you run it. It tells what it is doing while scanning and gives a checkbox for every problem found to choose whether to fix any or all errors before it makes changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back