Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SVCHOST.EXE problem! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syky

IS-IT--Management
Mar 13, 2003
IE
Hi There !

I have a problem with SVCHOST . When working in Excel 2000 , the problem finishes by itself with warning that has problems with svchost and program will be closed.Can someone help with this issue ?
Many Thanx

Syky

What I would do in that case then is compare a good exe file from a machine (same OS) that isn't having problems to the one that you have. I'm curious as to the name of the virus/marlware you found. Some of them don't clean very well, no matter what the anti virus cleaners tell you.

@ battmain
I will do as you suggest re file size of svchost.exe
Quote =
"I'm curious as to the name of the virus/marlware you found. Some of them don't clean very well, no matter what the anti virus cleaners tell you"
Actually I have not found any virus or malware at all - I keep SpyBot / AdAware / McAfee smack bang up to date and run scans often. In fact I run AdAware daily and it only comes up with the usual tracking cookies.
Cheers
JB

JB - N.W. - UK....
If at first you don't succeed, keep at it until you can't even think straight !

Hi!

This problem is strange, indeed ! I did everything like I mentioned in previous posts and it helped me....
I think there's only one solution, if you tried so many actions.... reinstall of the OS...... :(
Terrible vision, but will help for sure ...

good luck...

Syky

@ SyKy
No aqctually it's not a problem at all for me.
In fact I have already tried it 4 or 5 times
I work for a large IT ex lease re-furb company dealing in everything from Dell desktops to SGI graphics servers & CISCO gear etc...
So it's easy for me to disconnect my main hard drive and stick another one in.
As I say I have done this 4 or 5 times and the problem is still there !!
At the weekend I am going to try a std Win2000 build with SP3 and blaster patch only, test it, and then start adding patches and SP4 etc, one at a time, testing each add on to see if it is IE's service pack or an IE patch or maybe something to do with McAfee or Media player 9 etc etc.

I notice on another forum re this, (as mentioned earlier on here) that the usual hit count for a topic is average about 60, this topic has had around 39 thousand hits !!

There is a bug somewhere and someone will find it, the sooner the better !

JB - N.W. - UK....

Well at last SUCCESS for me at least.
Removed MaCafee fire wall and used Kerios instead - problem gone !!
Check my posts on here re what my problems where tho as others seemn to have been getting slightly different symptoms.

JB - N.W. - UK....

Thanks for the feedback. Interesting that you found that. I did the same for someone and it fixed their problem too, but it had to do with a web based application.

a SVCHOST.EXE 100% SOLUTION:
Hello all, and thanks for the tips. I just solved my own very special variant of the problem thanks to the tips here and huguesjohnson.com site. SO, i wanted to share my solution and hopefully help out others lookin for the answers.

I did not have any viruses.
I am on windows2000 pro.

Open task manager so you can see your processor usage. pegged right?

Open Services control panel.
(control panel>Administrative tools>services)
Go through each service one by one and stop it. Use discression, could cause a shutdown or something. Perhaps after stopping the service, you will see your processor use go down.

I did, for me it was the "RIP Listener" service. But i think it could be different services for dif people. I researched RIP Listener, and realized i could safely disable it.

Hooray!

Good luck, hope this helps someone.
topherZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back